recabling Audio Technica ATH-AD2000
Dec 10, 2006 at 8:24 PM Post #2 of 2
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsuttitinagul /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Curious if anyone's ever done this. If so, what cable did you use and how did you get it recabled? How did the sound change?

Thanks...

I've never done it, but I build a lot of cables and soldered alot. The procedure is relatively simple.

You'll have to open up the casing of your headphones to expose the drivers and the solder joints (the + is going to be associated to the tip or the ring on your headphone plug, depending which driver you're working on).

1- Traditionally, the tip is associated to the left channel so on your left driver, the + (positive) is associated to the tip.

2- On your right driver, the + (positive) is associated to the ring.

3- The - (negative) on both drivers is associated to the sleeve.

It's probably best if you can bring the drivers out completely to work on them easily, then won't risk damaging the casing
rs1smile.gif
. You'll have to make sure you don't touch the soft part of the driver that produces sound waves, otherwise you'll risk damaging it and you'll have to get a new pair of drivers.

You'll need a good soldering iron, soldering wire and some patience (wire cutters (flush cutters) and strippers would probably be useful also).

You'll have to unsolder the wires from the drivers at the solder joints for both drivers and solder the new wires in correctly. It's pretty straightforward. Make sure you don't leave the soldering iron on the contacts too long otherwise this might also damage or alter the drivers.

Once you're done, it's just a question of reassembling and testing to see if it still sounds good
rs1smile.gif

Can't really help you for the sound change though since I never tested any cable change on any headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back