Recabling ATH-ES7s and looking for advice
May 20, 2009 at 10:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

jthm

100+ Head-Fier
The cord from the left can to the connector snapped. A music shop in my area quoted me $20-$40 CAD for the work but was concerned about finding the right cabling. So my questions are what cable would be preferable for my headphones if I am looking for something cheap and durable and is the quote for work fair?

May 21, 2009 at 12:59 AM Post #2 of 4
Just making sure, so there's no more warranty left on your headphones? Because something similar happened with my es7s and I was able to exchange them for a brand new pair.

May 21, 2009 at 7:20 AM Post #3 of 4
If they repair the headphone to the point where it is fixed and as good as it was, then it seems fair to me. Your looking at at least an hour worth of labor to open the headphones, resolder the wire, and assemble everything back.

IMO, i'd use this as an opportunity to replace the cable with something more substantial both physically and sonically. I believe that ALO audio have modded ATH-ESW9s before with their own custom wire with positive results.

EDIT: I'm not familiar with the ATH-ES7s, so I'm not sure how much they cost. If you feel that the job will cost a substantial amount, you can consider buying new headphones, and selling your headphones to get some cash back

May 21, 2009 at 3:39 PM Post #4 of 4
Cans were about $125 CAD and it seems any online cable replacement options would cost significantly more than that. My preference is to have a professional in my area repair or replace the cable if I can find an affordable($50 CAD) replacement. With respect to the warranty I contact ATH's official Canadian handler Jam Industries and was told that the cord snapping from being caught on a corner was not covered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back