Recabling Altec Lansing IM716
Jan 22, 2010 at 2:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Fallingwater

100+ Head-Fier
I just got the 'phones in the title second-hand at a good price. The only problem is that the jack is broken.
Instead of replacing the jack, I'm thinking of opening the IEMs themselves, tossing the original cable and stupid little doodad in the middle (which only flops around and adds microphonic noises; yes, I'm aware it has a clip - a very fiddly one to attach), and transplanting any random cable from a pair of cheapo headphones, which I seem to have by the dozens around here (I'm pretty sure they're reproducing).

It was mentioned to me that I should add a resistor in series, because (unlike other 'phones) these will sound differently with a direct connection.

What resistor should I use, and in series with what? The negative common lead?

Another question: along with the headphones I was given a length of quality, thick headphone wire. If I managed to somehow fit it to the IEMs (which would involve drilling out the holes), would a thicker, heavier cable cause more or less microphonic noise? I'm thinking less due to increased mass, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Thanks.

Jan 22, 2010 at 9:07 AM Post #3 of 4
sounds like a big task, good luck. Hope you know what you are doing.
Doesn't that "stupid little doodad" also control the bass/listening mode on im716? Wouldn't removing that also change sound quality?
I also read somewhere that the IEM housing (shape, material, vent) can also affect bass. So drilling into it may also change the sound...

Jan 22, 2010 at 12:36 PM Post #4 of 4
All the info you asked for, and then more: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/im7...ighlight=im716

wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back