recabled grado question
Oct 14, 2004 at 7:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

phkd

100+ Head-Fier
I use an SR 71 for my amp and it has a 1/8" input jack. my 225's have an 1/8" inch plug. i have the grado 1/4 to 1/8 and everythings fine (no sound quality loss, as far as i can tell) for now. Im wondering that when my phones come back from being recabled (with higher quality cable) will the grado adapter bring them back down to their original quality? i assume they use the same wires in that adapter as they do in their headphones. im worried about the weakest link type thing. also, my amp-to-source is decent, it's an Earcandy High-perf adapter from the cable pro, so im not worried about that.

oh yea, just out of curiousity, when you need to carry your nice headphones around with you, what do you use to protect them? i've had my SR60's in my backpack with my school books (not in the same pouch however) and after a few years they have needed some work and suffered some damage.

thanks as usual for any help you can offer.
-AJ

Oct 14, 2004 at 8:29 AM Post #2 of 5
I bought a headphone bag from Listening Station/Goodcans that suits me just fine. I also looked at the Headroom "Headcase" bag, but couldn't justify spending $50 for a bag, no matter how high quality it is. The Listening station bag is $18, but it's a nice one that should be all you need unless you really abuse your 'phones (in which case, you probably wouldn't be a member of this forum
smily_headphones1.gif
).

I've been dying to get some straight answers about the difference that Larry's recabling mod makes...be sure to post a review as soon as you spend some time with your "new" cans!

Oh, by the way, are you having them woodie'd at the same time, or just getting them recabled?

~Jordan

Oct 14, 2004 at 10:50 PM Post #3 of 5
thanks for the bag tip man.
yea, i listened to them quite a bit before I sent them off, so ill let you know the differences I hear once they come back, and probably give some pics if anyone cares. by the way, im getting both done.

anyways, can anyone answer my original question, or is it too tough for yous?
tongue.gif

Oct 15, 2004 at 12:52 AM Post #4 of 5
my answer to your tough question is that you don't have a choice. it's not like you have two output jacks, one 1/4" the other 1/8". you could have had a 1/8" jack put at the end of your cable (I dunno if it's even an option) and then used a 1/8 -> 1/4 adaptor, which does not have 2 jacks and a wire in between, to "make sure" (whatever that means) there is no loss but I see no way to test the "loss"

Oct 15, 2004 at 1:11 AM Post #5 of 5
I would suggest to get the connector you will either use more often, or with your better gear. If you plan to upgrade sometime here, go for the plug that will most likely fit in your upgrade path. An adapter can be thought of as a glove. Some may be like wool, leather or latex to where you may not even be able to tell it's there. Ideally, not using an adapter is better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back