Recable Audio Technicas with Senn 650 Premium Cables?
Aug 30, 2008 at 5:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

strangelove

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,

I have a pair of Audio Technica AD2000s and a pair of W5000s that I want to recable. I also happen to have a couple of extra after-market Senn 650 cables lying around (an Apuresound and a Cardas one). I'd like to recable the ATs with these cables but have never done anything like this before. Would it be as simple as cutting of the 650 connectors at the ends of the cables, stripping them a bit, and soldering the cables onto the ATs (once I remove the old cables first)? My only concern would be how would I know which wire was the positive and which the ground on the cables I'm using? If I solder them wrong what could happen? Would it just not work or would it do damage?

I'd appreciate any help or input on if this is a reasonable project for a newbie.

Thanks

Aug 30, 2008 at 6:50 PM Post #2 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by strangelove /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would it be as simple as cutting of the 650 connectors at the ends of the cables, stripping them a bit, and soldering the cables onto the ATs (once I remove the old cables first)?

Of course you can.

Quote:

Originally Posted by strangelove /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My only concern would be how would I know which wire was the positive and which the ground on the cables I'm using? If I solder them wrong what could happen? Would it just not work or would it do damage?

Best way is PM Alex and ask him.
If you solder it wrong, the most common thing happens is that you'll have no sound. Just desolder and switch the wires. It won't hurt the drivers as long as you have a good solder/desolder skill. Actually, I destroyed one of my Koss' driver while recabling it lol.

Aug 30, 2008 at 7:35 PM Post #3 of 8
I think the harder part is finding out which wire on each driver is signal/ground. As for the cable itself, just do a continuity test, or hook it up to a led/resistor.

Aug 30, 2008 at 7:39 PM Post #4 of 8
multimeter/lightbulb+battery=solution

Aug 30, 2008 at 8:32 PM Post #5 of 8
I would not crack either of the headphones asked about by the OP if he is asking the questions he is asking.

Send whoever you like who has done this before an email, and ask them to do it. If you ask nicely, you may be able to get them to just install your old cables in the headphones.

If you want to learn how to recable stuff, start off with something like a KSC-75, Grado SR-60, a LOW-END Audio-technica, ETC. ooh, read a lot.

here is what im hearing:
I have a ducati monster, when I go to put my flow matched heads on, do the nuts go on clockwise or counterclockwise... Why not learn how to work on generally worthless engines first?

People have had success with this sort of stuff on a first attempt, but they have also had abysmal failure.

Aug 30, 2008 at 9:23 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would not crack either of the headphones asked about by the OP if he is asking the questions he is asking.

Send whoever you like who has done this before an email, and ask them to do it. If you ask nicely, you may be able to get them to just install your old cables in the headphones.

If you want to learn how to recable stuff, start off with something like a KSC-75, Grado SR-60, a LOW-END Audio-technica, ETC. ooh, read a lot.

here is what im hearing:
I have a ducati monster, when I go to put my flow matched heads on, do the nuts go on clockwise or counterclockwise... Why not learn how to work on generally worthless engines first?

People have had success with this sort of stuff on a first attempt, but they have also had abysmal failure.

x2

Aug 30, 2008 at 9:24 PM Post #7 of 8
I was directed over to this thread so I figured I may as well lend a hand.

If you know what you are doing and can solder / use a multimeter this isn't a hard task, but there are a few things to keep in mind.

The V3 cable has a 1ft Y split in all of the cables. When we make cables for headphones for instance the AD2000 we leave an extra 3-4 inches of wire to actually reach the driver. Now take the 11in you have after you cut off the Cardas connectors and remove another 4in inches or so and you only have a 7in or less Y split. That does not leave much of a Y split for you. If this is ok for you then by all means go forward with the recable.

Just keep in mind any sort of modification to our product will void all warranty and we are not responsible for any sort of damages caused during your install.

The other alternative is just sell the cable and order a recable for your AD2000 to fit them perfectly. Either way the choice is yours. Good luck!

Thanks,
Alex

Aug 30, 2008 at 9:41 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This is why I posted here first before I attempted it. If it sounded like it was going to be harder than I thought I wasn't going to try it. I'm not dumb enough to did myself into a hole I can't get out of.

Quote:

Originally Posted by [AK]Zip /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The other alternative is just sell the cable and order a recable for your AD2000 to fit them perfectly. Either way the choice is yours. Good luck!

Thanks,
Alex

I appreciate your input. The reason I was going to try and do it myself is because it would cost about half as much. However if it's going to be a hassle, I don't need the headaches.

I appreciate everyone's input. Probably won't go ahead and do it though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back