Rec Needed ... DAC/Amp for Laptop, small desk
Dec 2, 2017 at 5:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

BoxingRobes

New Head-Fier
Alright...first off...RIP my listening room / office...fell victim to my new baby girl.

With that said, I've been able to migrate my good stuff to my home theatre anyway...but, looking to find one last thing. Looking for some sort of DAC/Amp combo for my laptop. I rock a MacBookPro and usually just plop that bad boy on a little table (14 inches wide, 24 inches long)...perfect for some couch or listening chair laptop action.

So, I am looking for a good DAC/Amp to connect to the laptop that isn't too cumbersome with the wires.

I own a SCHIIT Stack (Magni2/Modi2) but the extra wires for power are going to be an eyesore, so NO to that. Right now, I'm using an XDuoo-XD05 and its fine, but its also my portable DAC/Amp.

The headphones I need to power from this spot...HD600s...M1060s...HiFiMan HE4xx...

The Jotunheim would be a leader in the clubhouse, but having to power it via a plug is a minor turnoff, but not a dealbreaker.

Prefer buying something I could power with USB, but again, I am open.

tl:dr
-Need small-ish DAC/Amp for Laptop Table
-Needs to be able to power HD600s...M1060s...HiFiMan HE4xx
-Prefer USB Power, but willing to hear plug-in types arguments
-$500 or lower budget (prefer lower)
-Needs to be "better" then an XDuoo-XD05

Dec 2, 2017 at 6:34 PM Post #2 of 10
Chord Mojo! Sounds amazing with the HD 600 and all sorts of other headphones.

It's battery-powered and has separate micro USB inputs for data and charging. Although you can charge it with your laptop, I'd recommend a 5V 2A micro USB wall charger for stationary use, especially for simultaneous charging and playback.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2017 at 1:07 PM Post #9 of 10
I would recommend mojo myself but if you're looking for something cheaper, iDSD nano BL?

Right now, this is my leader in the clubhouse.

If I could find the Chord on a ridiculous discount (I hate buying used FWIW), I'd love to be all in, but ~500 on a good day is really the ceiling of what I am looking to buy. If the difference between the ifi BL and Chord really is $300, I likely couldn't tell.

If anyone would like to send a good brother the two to sample, I'd be more then willing to oblige. :beerchug:

Has anyone been able to compare the Chord to the Jotunheim? How are the feelings there?

Mayflower ARC was super intriguing...just sounds like more of a gaming type piece of equipment.

I do like the XDuoo I have...love the design, how small it is, etc. Love the display. Just feel like I need a little more for a laptop set up. Was using a SCHIIT STACK previously, but ****, man, that is a lot of cords.

Dec 9, 2017 at 1:31 PM Post #10 of 10
Right now, this is my leader in the clubhouse.

If I could find the Chord on a ridiculous discount (I hate buying used FWIW), I'd love to be all in, but ~500 on a good day is really the ceiling of what I am looking to buy. If the difference between the ifi BL and Chord really is $300, I likely couldn't tell.

If anyone would like to send a good brother the two to sample, I'd be more then willing to oblige. :beerchug:

Has anyone been able to compare the Chord to the Jotunheim? How are the feelings there?

Mayflower ARC was super intriguing...just sounds like more of a gaming type piece of equipment.

I do like the XDuoo I have...love the design, how small it is, etc. Love the display. Just feel like I need a little more for a laptop set up. Was using a SCHIIT STACK previously, but ****, man, that is a lot of cords.

I bet the sound difference between the nano BL is not day and night. The nano come close to its brother, micro BL so it should be a bargain at $199 new. Unless you decided to enter used market, you might get mojo at $300.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back