Rec for laptop dac/amp.
Jan 13, 2020 at 4:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

tmb821

100+ Head-Fier
In the market for a affordable dac/amp for windows 10 laptop. Short list is...
Smsl iq
Fiio k3
Fiio q1mkll
Sabaj da3
Fiio btr5

I run a mix of akgk240s, shp9500, zs10pros, tin t2’s.
Anybody offer any words of advice?

Jan 14, 2020 at 1:20 PM Post #2 of 6
In the market for a affordable dac/amp for windows 10 laptop. Short list is...
Smsl iq
Fiio k3
Fiio q1mkll
Sabaj da3
Fiio btr5

I run a mix of akgk240s, shp9500, zs10pros, tin t2’s.
Anybody offer any words of advice?

If it doesn't have a battery or its own power brick, or a second USB port so you can use any USB charger to power it, it will be dependent on bus power off the laptop.

Best case scenario: you have shorter battery life.

Worst case scenario: it might not even work when not plugged in.

Jan 14, 2020 at 1:29 PM Post #3 of 6
If it doesn't have a battery or its own power brick, or a second USB port so you can use any USB charger to power it, it will be dependent on bus power off the laptop.

Best case scenario: you have shorter battery life.

Worst case scenario: it might not even work when not plugged in.

I’m not worried about power. I can already run my es100 off of the laptop. I can always plug the laptop in if needed. Portability is a nice plus, but I have a nx3s and the es100 for that. This is more for a stationary set up. I would just use the es100 but it doesn’t have quite enough power for my akg k240s.

Jan 14, 2020 at 2:32 PM Post #4 of 6
I’m not worried about power. I can already run my es100 off of the laptop.

That runs, but there's no guarantee any other one that runs off bus power will absolutely run. You have to understand that that risk is there.

I can always plug the laptop in if needed. Portability is a nice plus, but I have a nx3s and the es100 for that. This is more for a stationary set up. I would just use the es100 but it doesn’t have quite enough power for my akg k240s.

If it's for stationary use then might as well get one that has its own power supply.

104dB/1V isn't a literal 104dB output once gain etc is involved, and 2V isn't always another 3dB on that.

Attachments

• upload_2020-1-14_11-30-6.png
    upload_2020-1-14_11-30-6.png
    302 KB · Views: 0
Jan 14, 2020 at 4:01 PM Post #5 of 6
That runs, but there's no guarantee any other one that runs off bus power will absolutely run. You have to understand that that risk is there.

If it's for stationary use then might as well get one that has its own power supply.

104dB/1V isn't a literal 104dB output once gain etc is involved, and 2V isn't always another 3dB on that.

I’m specifically looking for one that is a usb dac. All the research that I’ve done on the ones I listed looks like they all run well off of usb power. I don’t want to have to plug yet another thing in. I use it in my semi truck to watch movies, listen to music, etc.
I have a hearing impairment, that’s why I need something more powerful than the es100 for my cans. The es100 runs my iems just fine.

Jan 14, 2020 at 7:29 PM Post #6 of 6
I’m specifically looking for one that is a usb dac.

USB DAC only means it receives digital audio via USB.

That term doesn't distinguish between USB DACs that use bus power, USB DACs like the Schiit Fulla2 with a second USB port to use any USB charger as a power supply, a USB DAC like the Schiit Modi3 that uses its own power brick while using USB to receive a signal...

All the research that I’ve done on the ones I listed looks like they all run well off of usb power.

And I'm saying your computer is another variable.

It's not clear data when you don't control both variables when replicating a study for verification. In audio terms what I'm saying is "what if your motherboard doesn't work like everybody else's newer Gaming Motherboards/Laptops with 'DAC-UP TECH: ALL USB PORTS WILL PROVIDE 5V 500MA SIMULTANEOUSLY!'"

All the research that I’ve done on the ones I listed looks like they all run well off of usb power. I don’t want to have to plug yet another thing in. I use it in my semi truck to watch movies, listen to music, etc.
I have a hearing impairment, that’s why I need something more powerful than the es100 for my cans.

Here comes another point that needs clarification: 5V 500mA isn't a lot of power to work with. You need to make sure that your headphones are relatively high sensitivity, lower impedance but not too low, to make sure there's practically no problem, ever.

Your SHP9500S will work fine, not sure about the K240S. And either way, at the very least you need to be aware that there's a possibility that some USB DACs don't work or don't work properly depending on what they're plugged into.

I'd get the K3 out of all those but again there's the small chance it might not work depending on your computer. In terms of power output this is your best bet.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back