Rebuilding my rig from ground up! Need advice! (Ipod 5.5 Video related)
Sep 17, 2010 at 2:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Etrips

100+ Head-Fier
First off a little back story. I ended up selling my whole portable rig a few months ago (which I now heavily regret) after my iMod was stolen and I wasn't able to financially afford a new one. During that time, I've been having to use crappy work headphones and I find myself generally unhappy. So I am looking to get back into the game again. Unfortunately I do not have the $600-700 to rebuild my rig in all in one go at this time. So I'm looking on some advise on what options I have in order to get to that point again.

As of right now I will be using Beyerdynamic DT770 / 80ohm as my choice of headphones. As for DAP... I'm really torn, I've been debating on whether or not I should get a DAP/AMP combo or a straight DAC. Anyway, I think I've decided on a DAP/AMP combo as I would want the portability option. Now as far as a DAP, I'm not too sure on this. Given the full sized headphones (see: not IEMs) I want to use, I think I would want to get something that can utilize an amp. I was originally considering a J3 / Flo, but am concerned about the size capacity. So my only appealing alternative is an.... iPod Video 5.5g?

Pros:
-80gb capacity, ability to upgrade to higher capacity
-Rockbox'able
-Eventually be iModded

Cons:
-High theft target because of 'Ipod Apple!!'
-Lowered battery capacity if using Rockbox

Uncertain:
-Powerful enough to feed Beyers?
-Can it run a signal through the line out via LOD without being iModded?

Budget at the moment is sub $200. I figure if I look around hard enough I can spot a 80gb 5.5 Video for less than $100.

tl;dr - I have no idea what I want to do!

Sep 18, 2010 at 12:16 AM Post #2 of 2
What about battery capacity, you seem to used some very old rockbox build. You should get 20+ hours of FLAC and close to 30 hours of MP3 on the latest versions of rockbox on a thick (60/80) ipod with a new battery, as opposed to mere 20 hours on a stock firmware; so the rockbox is actually increasing battery life.
PS: The numbers are for stock ipod, i don't know whether imodding it lowers battery life or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back