Reasons to buy music versus sharing/music stores..
Nov 2, 2005 at 12:25 AM Post #17 of 25
My reason for buying up such a music collection as I had (around 250 - 300 CDs, which for a student is pretty large nowadays) is for whatever placebo reason, I am far more likely to listen to a CD I ripped than a CD I downloaded. It's not a question of quality, I don't have the ears for that except in the few cases where it's glaringly terrible, I rarely flip through the liner notes. I just like having the actual CDs. I don't even like legal sites such as iTunes or Napster.

Nov 2, 2005 at 3:26 AM Post #18 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by blip
Really the whole p2p thing has led to much more spending on my part than would have occure otherwise. What the internet makes possible is fast exposure to a wide-range of music. This allows one to dig and explore, to discover new and meaningful music. I know, for instance, that I would never have gotten into Aphex Twin had it not been for early napster. Heck, I might have never gotten into Depeche Mode without internet radio. While I don't know how representative I am, if a good percentage of people out there are like me... the repression of p2p is really undermining the record labels' bottom lines.

Then again, I buy 90% used so it may not matter that much to them at all!

I'm in the exact same situation. If it wasn't for downloading, I wouldn't have discovered most of the bands that I love. 2 years ago, if you were to tell me that I'd spend $15 on a Michael Jackson CD, I would've laughed for days on end. Thanks to downloading, I've been able to sample bands and artists that I would never have spent money on. Plus, the vast majority of money I spend today is on used CDs, so I'm not exactly the ideal RIAA customer to begin with.

Nov 2, 2005 at 7:02 AM Post #20 of 25
I used to buy CDs whenever I could scrounge the cash (mostly listened to FM all day and night), til I realized that many of them only had one or two good tracks. Decreased my purchasing.

I prefer the CD over the mp3, for the same reasons most others do. It feels right having something physical, as if the CD itself was a piece of the artist and stuff. I can grab and look at an old CD, and just get nostalgic of "that time" and all the things that happened then in my life. How I spent the days listening to it, like a bad flashback. You know what I'm trying to say.

Nov 2, 2005 at 3:50 PM Post #21 of 25
I've downloaded several flac albums from indie bands and burned them to cd, but even that I don't like. It looks like you've pirated the album, and it doesn't really fit in the collection. For some reason it seems like I care about appearances, but I like to support artists I enjoy, and if someone gets into my car and sees row upon row of purchased music they ask about it and I get to start a conversation on music piracy. I'm a tech junkie, and the first thing I do with a cd when I get it is rip it to my ever-expanding music directory but I can't buy music online. I'm active on the fs sections and eBay so I'm not scared of online buying, but unless I get the physical product of the disc/case...

Nov 2, 2005 at 3:54 PM Post #22 of 25
I haven't downloaded in months and if I did it would be to test to see what the tracks were like... Although I haven't checked since I took a gamble on Godspeed and that has paid off big time.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm a CD man through and through....at least until I'm rich enough for vinyl.
biggrin.gif

Nov 3, 2005 at 12:31 PM Post #23 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by xcryonicx
...as well as the option to rip it at what encoder/bitrate I please, instead of settling for some junk people put up on various, unmentioned, file sharing networks.

sadly, this is not true anymore. in the eu it has become illegal to rip your own cd for your own mp3 player - and in some cases it has also become technically impossible - some cds have so many errors (most "copy protection" = errors) that they are in fact no longer rippable.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
for one thing, I know everything can play standard CD's with the "Compact Disc Digital Audio" logo perfectly, as compared to some crappy CD-R burned at 40x.

yes, but there's a catch to that: many new cds don't have that logo anymore, because they are even more crappy than cd-rs and don't fulfill the redbook standard - some of those are unplayable on some dvd/cd players. then there's the dual disc disaster where yet another breech of the redbook standard again renders some cds unplayable on some cd players.

i still buy cds because "i have to" - but i fully understand those who don't. there's one enemy the music industry could fall to, and that's not file sharing: it's their own greed and contempt for their customers (and for the artists, but that's another story).

Nov 3, 2005 at 2:29 PM Post #24 of 25
No discussion of illegal downloading, how to circumvent copy protection, etc...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back