Reasonably Priced Laptop with Optical Out?
Oct 29, 2007 at 4:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

kpeezy

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey everyone
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm planning on buying a laptop soon and giving my desktop to my little brother. The thing is, I'm currently using an AV710 w/optical out to connect to my DAC. Once I get a laptop, I won't have an AV710.

Question: Are there any sound cards for laptops that would give me optical out? If not, I would be fine using an M-Audio Transit right? Thanks!!

Oct 29, 2007 at 5:08 PM Post #3 of 30
Why not buy a laptop with optical out built in.
My laptop (MacBook pro) have optical SPDIF built in, and it works like a treat to feed an external DAC.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 29, 2007 at 7:52 PM Post #4 of 30
Well.. it depends on how much money I decide to spend on a laptop. I'm not going to spend loads more money on a laptop with specs I don't need just because it has optical out
wink.gif
Anything else? I already have a toslink (?) cable so is there anything that uses that? Well.. I guess it doesn't really matter since portable DAC/Amps don't have toslink connections right? Would it be better just to use an M-Audio Transit? I would rather not since that is just one more component, so any thoughts are appreciated.

Oct 29, 2007 at 11:06 PM Post #5 of 30
its best not to decide everything on a single toslink cable. unless of course, that this cable costed you a fortune and you defintely wont let it go. however, id just do a simple search on google for USB toslink soundcards or such.

Oct 30, 2007 at 12:31 AM Post #6 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by arterius2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
its best not to decide everything on a single toslink cable. unless of course, that this cable costed you a fortune and you defintely wont let it go. however, id just do a simple search on google for USB toslink soundcards or such.

Why not? If it's available, then there is no downside.. All it does is save me money
smily_headphones1.gif
Well.. does a DAC/Amp like the Move / D1 accept toslink? If not, I'll probably get something else. All I really want is a way to hook up a laptop to a DAC/amp
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 30, 2007 at 2:54 AM Post #7 of 30
The Move accepts 1/8" analog or USB.

Rather than buying a special sound card just to feed an S/PDIF (TOSLINK/coaxial) signal to a DAC, I prefer to choose DACs that support USB. This way, the DAC itself acts as the sound card. This gives you a more direct route, is less hassle and probably cheaper.

Oct 30, 2007 at 4:27 AM Post #8 of 30
Well, the thing is, I'm going to be replacing my desktop with this. So for my home setup that I already have, I'll need optical out to connect to it. The portable setup isn't really a big deal since both DAC/Amps that I'm looking at accept USB, but I'll need something to connect the laptop to my Zhaolu. Any cheap options would be appreciated.

Oct 30, 2007 at 4:54 AM Post #9 of 30
m audio transit should be fine. There arent a lot of decent soundcards that convert to optical without resampling. The transit uses its own drivers so it can output bitperfect data

Oct 30, 2007 at 2:23 PM Post #11 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by kpeezy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well.. it depends on how much money I decide to spend on a laptop. I'm not going to spend loads more money on a laptop with specs I don't need just because it has optical out
wink.gif

Ok, fair enough.
Cause a MacBook might be priced a tiny bit above a similar specced Dell, Toshiba, etc.

Oct 31, 2007 at 4:21 PM Post #13 of 30
The M-Audio Transit was twitchy, IME. Wasn't crazy about it.

I use an HP DV9000 laptop now. It has a built-in mini-TOSLINK port in the front, which I connect to my custom-built (by Mazuki) Monica 2 DAC, that I route to my RSA Tomahawk. Love it.

Now if I could just afford the second hard drive for my DV9000 I could have my whole collection ripped to FLAC wherever I need to bring my laptop. Getting there...

Oct 31, 2007 at 5:47 PM Post #14 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by kpeezy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
I actually didn't know if a laptop with optical out would cost more or not but, since I don't see that feature often, I thought it would be something in higher models. It would be nice though
wink.gif

Its really nice.
Just hook up the external DAC to the miniplug optical out and enjoy...
lambda.gif

Oct 31, 2007 at 6:03 PM Post #15 of 30
Search the forum for "USB DAC" (with the quotes), there are tons of them available and even 10x as many opinions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back