Reasonably priced headphone amp
Dec 9, 2018 at 6:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

markch2

New Head-Fier
Hi there. This is my first thread. Ever. I just purchased a pair of Sennheiser 6xx headphones and run them on my Rotel system. I would like to purchase a good quality amp in Canada. There are many in the U.S but exchange. Duty and taxes are nuts. I would rather use that money to buy one in Canada for more. Hoping to spend under $200 taxes in. Can I please get some recommendations.
Thank you.
Mark

Dec 9, 2018 at 11:42 AM Post #2 of 4
Hi there. This is my first thread. Ever. I just purchased a pair of Sennheiser 6xx headphones and run them on my Rotel system. I would like to purchase a good quality amp in Canada. There are many in the U.S but exchange. Duty and taxes are nuts. I would rather use that money to buy one in Canada for more. Hoping to spend under $200 taxes in. Can I please get some recommendations.
Thank you.

I'd just wait around for a used amp in Canada. Look for something like a Schiit Valhalla (I wouldn't hope for a Valhalla2 for that money though but who knows) or maybe a Little Dot Mk3 as long as you don't plan on using low sensitivity, low impedance headphones on either (high sensitivity, low impedance is fine on the Valhalla2), or even a Schiit Asgard2 (not the best fo the HD600 but if you're on a budget it's a good choice). Many others but given this is a used market option you might find something for a lot less if it's old enough (just make sure it's working properly), like a Meier Headfive.

That said, I'd doubt the Rotel has a huge problem driving that headphone given its sensitivity is fairly high and its impedance isn't low enough to really conflict with the 138ohm output impedance on the Rotel, so I wouldn't really rush the purchase. Hang around in trading forums or even post a looking for ad but either way no need to rush it. If you don't like the sound, given these, it's more likely that it's the HD6XX that you don't like and less likely that it is due to how the Rotel is driving it.

Dec 9, 2018 at 11:56 AM Post #3 of 4
Great points .Thank you for your thoughts. I will post a wanted add, and watch Canuk Audio for used ones.
Yes, no rush except, Rotel I can only use zone2 for headphone use,and needs an amp to drive them, on my phone no problem, but dont want to use that all the time. As well, zone 2 will only output Analog, so Any movies and music on my computer as well as streaming will not play through.
Mark

Dec 9, 2018 at 12:12 PM Post #4 of 4
Great points .Thank you for your thoughts. I will post a wanted add, and watch Canuk Audio for used ones.

Look around for some older Meier, Schiit, etc.

If

Yes, no rush except, Rotel I can only use zone2 for headphone use,and needs an amp to drive them, on my phone no problem, but dont want to use that all the time. As well, zone 2 will only output Analog, so Any movies and music on my computer as well as streaming will not play through.

Even if you use other outputs from a Rotel pre-pro or HT receiver or an integrated amp with a built in DAC, nearly all of those are analogue outputs. The DAC in there would have already converted it.

Now if you already actually tried a digital input into the Rotel and nothing comes out of Zone2, then that's not a problem caused by Zone2 being an analogue output, but because Sony-BMG thinks that that will be how people will rip off their CDs in full quality, so they made sure that it became kind of an industry standard to have digital outputs not go through Zone 2. At the very least, Sony wanted to at least make some money selling CD burners or MD players/recorders. Supposedly this has been relaxed on newer receivers because the convenience of having a music server hooked up to a Network Receiver and have it playing through to an alternate location in the house at a time when streaming services in a post-Napster world has redefined album sales, Sony wouldn't really push to keep manufacturers following this (besides, they were also more focused fighting HD-DVD in the last decade).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back