Reasonable time for PM in purchasing?
Mar 8, 2008 at 6:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 51

cowboyjack2008

New Head-Fier
Though a relative noobie to head-fi, I have bought and purchased items on e-bay and from several other hobby/special interest boards over the years.

This is the first time I have ever had an experience like this:

Item for sale. Pm'ed seller with an unequivocal "I'll take it" and asked where to send the PayPal funds. Did not receive a response within half an hour, so I went on to do some other things.

Checked back about an hour later and had three Pm's from seller, each ten minutes apart, first with PayPal address, next one a bit rude warning me there were other buyers, with last one saying "due to my non-communication" they had sold item to someone else, even though I had apparently been first in line.

When I asked about it, the seller responded rather rudely, saying "non-communication" was a common "newbie mistake," to go "tell a moderator."

Now, I have to laugh. At the end of the day, I figure it just wasn't meant to be. I've purchased several hundred dollars worth of stuff off of this board with nary a problem and just wondered if this was normal behaviour? Am I a total idiot?

Mar 8, 2008 at 7:02 AM Post #3 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by cowboyjack2008 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Though a relative noobie to head-fi, I have bought and purchased items on e-bay and from several other hobby/special interest boards over the years.

This is the first time I have ever had an experience like this:

Item for sale. Pm'ed seller with an unequivocal "I'll take it" and asked where to send the PayPal funds. Did not receive a response within half an hour, so I went on to do some other things.

Checked back about an hour later and had three Pm's from seller, each ten minutes apart, first with PayPal address, next one a bit rude warning me there were other buyers, with last one saying "due to my non-communication" they had sold item to someone else, even though I had apparently been first in line.

When I asked about it, the seller responded rather rudely, saying "non-communication" was a common "newbie mistake," to go "tell a moderator."

Now, I have to laugh. At the end of the day, I figure it just wasn't meant to be. I've purchased several hundred dollars worth of stuff off of this board with nary a problem and just wondered if this was normal behaviour? Am I a total idiot?

No, you're just meeting a phenomenon called "impatient seller syndrome" - a common occurrence amongst those experiencing "upgraditis seriousitis."
wink.gif

Chalk it up to a bad experience and just move on. It's not common behaviour, but it does happen from time to time. Sorry you had to experience it so soon.

And Lightning - don't be so abrasive, man. This is a relaxation zone - a lounge, y'dig?

Mar 8, 2008 at 7:44 AM Post #7 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lightnin'Hopkins /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For Christ's sake, he asked for an opinion on a bleedin' public forum.

Abrasion is the method by which steel becomes shiny and wood smooth.
Learn to embrace it.

Lightnin'

You defined the noun form of 'abrasive.'
wink.gif

Roastpuff was talking of the adjective form, which is:

1.) tending to abrade
2.) causing irritation

Mar 8, 2008 at 8:06 AM Post #8 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You defined the noun form of 'abrasive.'
wink.gif

Roastpuff was talking of the adjective form, which is:

1.) tending to abrade
2.) causing irritation

If you bog down in semantics you'll never see the forest.

Lightnin'

Mar 8, 2008 at 8:19 AM Post #9 of 51
Quote:

Lightnin'

I hate to say it, but for a member with 24 posts, you are not making a good impression. We have a good community here, and if you are going to just attack other members, you might as well just leave.

Mar 8, 2008 at 8:37 AM Post #10 of 51
I don't have any problems with OP's question, he did not mean to complain, he simply described his experiences and asked for an opinion. Mr. Hopkins on the other hand, have shown a pattern of posts where he's just trolling around others. Don't type anything that you wouldn't say in your real life, it's common courtesy to do so. He has trolled around with several well-respected members around here and I agree with jgonino - play nice or leave.

To answer OP's question, I think response time of 1-2 day is resonable IMO ( but within couple of hours would be better)

Mar 8, 2008 at 9:06 AM Post #11 of 51
You lot are the thinnest skinned people I've ever seen in my lifetime.

..and that's sayin' something!

That, or you just like to pick on the new guy?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgonino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hate to say it, but for a member with 24 posts, you are not making a good impression. We have a good community here, and if you are going to just attack other members, you might as well just leave.

"Attack" members !
I've done no such thing.

If you truly believe this, then it's just another example of total lack in reading comprehension.
The place seems to be ripe with it.

If there's ANY attacking going on, it's against me.
It's a friggin' public forum! when someone asks blatantly for an opinion,
be prepared to hear some that you don't agree with and that might be worded in a manner that upsets your delicate little psyches.

Lightnin'

Mar 8, 2008 at 9:15 AM Post #12 of 51
we don't pick on new people.
we only pick on new people who fails to show respect and common courtesy on a great forum.
Maybe you don't mean to insult others, but you already have done so repeatedly; public forum is not a place where you can publicly insult others. If you can't understand this, perhaps it may be is time for you to leave.

Mar 8, 2008 at 9:38 AM Post #13 of 51
Quote:

Lightnin'

You, I think, are maybe in the wrong place.

cheers

Mar 8, 2008 at 10:16 AM Post #15 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by cowboyjack2008 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've purchased several hundred dollars worth of stuff off of this board with nary a problem and just wondered if this was normal behaviour?

I don't think it's normal at all, and the "anti-newbie" attitude seems a bit out of place. A low post count, to me at least, does not suggest a lack of knowledge about how to buy things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back