Reasonable PC Gaming Headset/Headphone+Mic Combo?
Dec 27, 2016 at 11:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Actual Proof

New Head-Fier
My trusty steelseries is biting the dust, having issues with reliability after a solid 2-3 years.
I already have a modmic, but none of the headphones I currently own are very good for my needs while gaming (too "open" or uncomfortable for longer sessions).
I have settled on any of the following, but am looking for a second opinion.
I am looking for: 3.5mm or USB or both, closed back design, comfortable, quality mic.
I have a gift card for amazon, but even with that my max out of pocket will be about $110 if I got the sennheiser headset below. I really don't want to spend any more than this.

Sennheiser G4me Zero
Sennheiser HD 598 Cs (on sale for the next 4 days)
Hyper X Could 2

Dec 28, 2016 at 8:40 PM Post #3 of 13
The hd598 was great for gaming, but I haven't heard the cs version. Definitely one of the most comfortable headphones I've ever used, and the sound was spectacular for gaming purposes.

Dec 29, 2016 at 12:19 AM Post #4 of 13
The hd598 was great for gaming, but I haven't heard the cs version. Definitely one of the most comfortable headphones I've ever used, and the sound was spectacular for gaming purposes.

This is the closed back version of that headphone, new release. Looks like they are winners paired with the modmic. The Hyper X Cloud 2 looks like the best gaming headset out now though. But I will get more use out of the 598 Cs.

Dec 29, 2016 at 12:29 AM Post #5 of 13
This is the closed back version of that headphone, new release. Looks like they are winners paired with the modmic. The Hyper X Cloud 2 looks like the best gaming headset out now though. But I will get more use out of the 598 Cs.

Well from what I've seen about it around the forum the cs version sounds pretty similar to the normal version, and if that is the case then they should be spectacular for gaming. I didn't particularly like the 598s for music though, but that is just my particular taste. Too much sub-bass rolloff for me.

Dec 29, 2016 at 12:34 AM Post #6 of 13
if you like v-shaped sound sig... i.e. you've listened to the M50X and thought... yeah that is nice..now if it was better

The DT770's are actually nice headphones.. I'm something of a fan of the beyer sound.. I have owned the DT770 Pro 80's for 4~ years or something like that.. I have used them for gaming quite a lot.. they have a good sound stage for being closed headphones..

Not very portable.. probably quite a bit stronger than the 598's I haven't heard the 598Cs so can't compare them really.. but I do like the DT770's a lot.

Dec 29, 2016 at 1:01 AM Post #7 of 13
  if you like v-shaped sound sig... i.e. you've listened to the M50X and thought... yeah that is nice..now if it was better

The DT770's are actually nice headphones.. I'm something of a fan of the beyer sound.. I have owned the DT770 Pro 80's for 4~ years or something like that.. I have used them for gaming quite a lot.. they have a good sound stage for being closed headphones..

Not very portable.. probably quite a bit stronger than the 598's I haven't heard the 598Cs so can't compare them really.. but I do like the DT770's a lot.

I have the M50X and I like what you are saying. They aren't the most comfortable though. The DT770s should be more comfortable, and I am a fan of velour.

Dec 29, 2016 at 1:08 AM Post #8 of 13

I have the M50X and I like what you are saying. They aren't the most comfortable though. The DT770s should be more comfortable, and I am a fan of velour.

yeah.. the DT770's are muuuuch more comfortable than the M50X...  You may want to try putting Shure 840 earpads (or the shure velour pads from the 940) on your m50x's, I have the 840 pads on mine.. they fit loose but the stay on (most of the time..i have knocked one off a couple times) but they are much more comfortable.. I also have the HM5 pads.. but in my opinion they mess with the sound too much and because of their size make the clamping skull crushing.. but I do like the 840 pads.

if you like the M50 sound I think you'll quite like the DT770 sound ... I know I do.  the pro 80's are $138~ on amazon right now.

Dec 29, 2016 at 5:41 AM Post #9 of 13
I use the Seenheiser 363D for gaming. Good mic. My first reaction was that they were a bit flat, but maybe my listening changed, now no complaints they're quite nice. Before that were Plantronic GameCon models - cheap $30-$40 on ebay and good sound.

Dec 29, 2016 at 6:19 AM Post #10 of 13
I have the Kingston CloudX and its really good.Its A 7.1 closed headset.The mic is good quality.When i got this headset friends which i talk thrue Skype during A game all said they could hear me better and no static at all.It comes with 2 different material cushens.Its very comfortabel and cancels all the sounds from the outside.For me its the best one i had so far!

Dec 29, 2016 at 9:06 AM Post #11 of 13
Pretty much my situation (moving away from cloud I cause they are not confortable).

What would you guys choose based on quality and price?

(removed m50x cause they are not as confortable as others, at least from what i read).

Sennheiser HD 598SE - 115€ 
Beyerdynamics DT 990PRO/770PRO - Same price - 130€
AKG K240 MKII - 80€

I also thought about getting a Asus Xonar DGX cause it has headphone amplifier.

Dec 29, 2016 at 11:17 AM Post #12 of 13
Pretty much my situation (moving away from cloud I cause they are not confortable).

What would you guys choose based on quality and price?

(removed m50x cause they are not as confortable as others, at least from what i read).

Sennheiser HD 598SE - 115€ 
Beyerdynamics DT 990PRO/770PRO - Same price - 130€
AKG K240 MKII - 80€

I also thought about getting a Asus Xonar DGX cause it has headphone amplifier.

I have the 240 mk ii and it is a great sounding headphone for music if you want a flat sound. For games it is very comfortable, but a semi open design, basically open IMO. It does lack bass as well.

I have the Kingston CloudX and its really good.Its A 7.1 closed headset.The mic is good quality.When i got this headset friends which i talk thrue Skype during A game all said they could hear me better and no static at all.It comes with 2 different material cushens.Its very comfortabel and cancels all the sounds from the outside.For me its the best one i had so far!

I really do like the value proposition of the cloud. Lots of accessories and having a good mic is very important.

I think the choice for me narrows down to the DT770 and this.

Dec 29, 2016 at 8:18 PM Post #13 of 13
I've gone with the DT770 pro and mod mic. I bought a cheap USB card to help alleviate any electronic interference from within my pc case.

The next motherboard I get will have a good audio solution, that is for sure!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back