rear/front/all weel drive cars
Apr 8, 2003 at 9:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

mekanoplastik

500+ Head-Fier
just wondering what you guys think of each type of car, i have a rear weel drive car with a pretty powerful engine and no electronics at all i think it is very fun to drive, but since i have never driven a 4wd (subaru kind, not all terrain car) i was wondering what would be more exciting.....4wd or rwd...any experienced driver here?

the only problem with rear weel drive is when it rains, it is hard to keep the car straight
eek.gif
biggrin.gif
but that is part of the fun
very_evil_smiley.gif

front weel drive are not even worth to mention since most of them are not very powerful
wink.gif

m.

Apr 8, 2003 at 9:59 PM Post #2 of 38
RWD is fun, but there are about 10 days every year around here, where it's a big liability. My cousin bought a Benz C240 last year, he had to get pushed out of the snow 2 times on the way to work yesterday.

Other than that, it's fun to get the tail loose.

Overall, I feel for cars around here:
FWD is much more practical for an every-day car, but not as fun or precise in the steering feel.
RWD is best for the 2nd summer-only car / sports car.
AWD is only useful for extremely low traction conditions, with people that are aware that you still have limited BRAKING ability regardless of your drivetrain.

Apr 8, 2003 at 10:31 PM Post #3 of 38
biggrin.gif
Fishtailing is gooooood. Sometimes. This is Los Angeles though. No wonder accident rate goes up like 200 times when it drizzles. We just call in sick when it rains.

Apr 8, 2003 at 11:03 PM Post #4 of 38
Often the front wheel drive car are the cheapest, some are pretty good too, like the Acura series.
RWD is the one with most fun to drive. (eg. the old AE86
smily_headphones1.gif
)
AWD is the one can drive very very fast (eg. WRX).
The only thing you need to worry is speeding tickets
biggrin.gif

Apr 8, 2003 at 11:48 PM Post #5 of 38
Death to FWD and non full-sized SUVs!

RWD 5 speed manual (gotta have that overdrive gear to keep RPMs low = happy engine) is the only way for me, but (part/full-time) 4x4 comes in handy when you can't friggin' move / towing.

AWD is for people who can't drive in anything other than perfect condition on pavement.

Apr 9, 2003 at 3:53 AM Post #6 of 38
AWD is teriffic, but adds a lot of weight and complexity.

Rear drive is next best for handling, especially if they get the weight balance right. Just be sure to get the right tires for winter conditions.

Front drive is cheap to produce, reduces driveline weight, and offers better low speed traction in snow.

My perspective, of course.

gerG

Apr 9, 2003 at 3:56 AM Post #7 of 38
I like my rear wheel drive car. If I were a gardener and had to haul sacks of manure, I might get an SUV or pickup. 4wd SUVs might also be good if you were a soccermom type or had more than 4 dogs.

Apr 9, 2003 at 4:21 AM Post #8 of 38
best of all worlds :

Big Block V8 , LOUD low restriction exhaust , sure grip rear axle drive with stump pulling gears for the weekend

4X4 , ALL power (windows,seats,sunroof,etc.) for the week long grind back and forth to work or "shopping" with the wifey
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 9, 2003 at 5:26 AM Post #9 of 38
hard to tell.

RWD: There's nothing like taking a big ol' truck up a hill and having your rear end slipping & sliding around trying to catch the road. Flipping out the rear-end of a powerful car w/o having to touch a handbrake is a great feeling. Donuts = fun.

4WD/AWD: It can get you places that you couldn't get to with a rwd or fwd. If you're an explorer type, get a 4wd truck and get ready to go anywhere (as long as the path wide enough for your truck). Or if you're into hauling ass around an off-road track, get a WRX, the upcoming Evo VIII, or make your own fast AWD monster and tear it up.

It all depends on your version of excitement.

Apr 9, 2003 at 6:53 AM Post #10 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by MoLtoSoLo

RWD is the one with most fun to drive. (eg. the old AE86
smily_headphones1.gif
)

At least it has the 4AGE engine. You've got to test drive an MR2 if you haven't already, they are so awesome! I like the mark 1 ('85-'89), it has a go-cart feel to it.

As for rain and RWD, it all depends on what tires and power you have. My MR2 would slide around like crazy when it would rain after not raining for a long time (grease in the street), but that was also partly b/c of the Michelin XGT H4's on there, they weren't the best rain tires. So I just had to take it easy, I came close to smacking a curb a few times though.

If anyone decides to get an MR2, please don't start with an MR2 turbo, they do require some driver skill to drive properly, it's not just "point and shoot". The '91/'92 turbo has been known to snap oversteer when it hits boost in a turn, this can be very dangerous and potentially fatal. The MR2 community will thank you for not wrecking an MR2 turbo due to inexperience.

Apr 9, 2003 at 1:07 PM Post #11 of 38
AWD is definitely a small bit heavier and uses a bit more gas.

But, that said, it handles like nothing else. An Audi Quattto or a Subaru car with AWD simply makes driving much more fun - cornering etc. Once you try it, you won't go back.

Apr 9, 2003 at 4:32 PM Post #12 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by daycart1
I like my rear wheel drive car. If I were a gardener and had to haul sacks of manure, I might get an SUV or pickup. 4wd SUVs might also be good if you were a soccermom type or had more than 4 dogs.

hehe...dont know why i find your post pretty funny....
biggrin.gif
any hidden meaning?

Apr 9, 2003 at 4:43 PM Post #13 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by skagen
AWD is definitely a small bit heavier and uses a bit more gas.

But, that said, it handles like nothing else. An Audi Quattto or a Subaru car with AWD simply makes driving much more fun - cornering etc. Once you try it, you won't go back.

few years ago, in the european turism car championships (TOCA) (ricers would love this competitions) audi used their quattro system....after 2 seasons (not sure) the awd got banned from racing because it was a clear advantage...

http://www.motorsportvortex.com/features/a4/a4_1.html

so i guess awd is the best for performance driving

Apr 9, 2003 at 8:18 PM Post #14 of 38
I think the controllability of RWD cars has been much improved with the kind of electronic stability and traction systems built into the latest BMWs, e.g.

On the other hand, if you like drifting....

Apr 9, 2003 at 8:35 PM Post #15 of 38
Having had both rear and front drive cars, I can say that I like the front driver better for most uses. The ones I've had handled very well. They were quite fun on the twisty roads. The only times the rear drive was better was when I wanted to really push the limits.
I have never lost control of a front driver in a curve. I don't know for sure what it will do or if I know how to regain control. Rear drive is rather predictable, and I have had a few times where things have gotten busy trying to take a curve too fast.

The least fun I have trying to do donuts or drifts is with my full time 4 wheel drive pickup. That thing always spins both ends and just get weird, then takes off straight ahead. No fun. I did get it sideways once on a gravel road going way too fast. The thing was hanging it's tail out nicely then just started fishtailing violently. I ended up in the ditch. I was thoroughly and completely drunk at the time, which may explain how that happened.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back