Realtek SPDIF Optical Output Problems
Feb 12, 2008 at 12:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

hughwi

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I have done a quick search of these forums, and could not find anything directly relevant, so here is my problem, any help would be greatly appreciated. I am using a Zepto Znote 6224W laptop, which has the Realtek HD Audio 7.1 soundcard integrated into it (rubbish i know, i have an external card on the way). It has a combined heaphone out/spdif socket, which i have been using with a standard 3.5mm jack to RCA adapter, but there was a fair amount of interference. The laptop is running windows vista 32bit and foobar ASIO.

I have now plugged in an optical cable to connect up to my Beresford DAC, but i cannot get any sound output at all. I have trawled through all the sound settings in both the realtek application and vista sound panel, but with no luck. I have set ASIO4all to utilise the Realtek SPDIF and have even tried with DirectSound with no luck. I also tried playing a DVD through VLC and selecting use SPDIF if available and an AC3 filter, but still no sound!

This started out as a temporary quick fix for the poor sound quality untill my external sound card arrived, but now it has become something i must emerge from victorious, but somehow, even after a few hours of tinkering, reinstalling drivers, software and the like, i just cannot figure out on my own.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Hugh

Feb 12, 2008 at 11:17 PM Post #2 of 5
Ok, well as we all know, when you are faced with a problem like this, it required going back to basics... I had tried the cable and DAC on a different laptop and it had worked perfectly, so i assumed that the cable and DAC were fine and that the problem was isolated to my laptop. Well, as it turns out, the connector on the 3.5mm adapter was just a little dodgy and having removed it and switched it with another one, it all works perfectly!

Feb 13, 2008 at 12:08 AM Post #4 of 5
Cheers strangedaze, i am now really enjoying the laptop as a source (CD Player is a little broken at the moment).

Does this thread need to be closed/deleted now?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back