Realtek HD audio manager and "heaphones setting"
May 12, 2011 at 11:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

-sandro-

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,
I have a generic integrated HD realtek sound card 5.1 and using windows 7.

I noticed that when you plug in any device you can set the type of the device. If I put "front speaker or stereo speaker" the sound is ok but somewhat low volume. If you put "headphones" the sound is MUCH more louder but the sound is crap IMHO, it lacks every low end frequency and the mids are way too bloated, it's unlistenable for me.

What is the technical explanation for this or better yet why does the driver do this?

May 16, 2011 at 4:26 AM Post #3 of 12
Realtek ALC889 or some similar number?

Same exact thing happening to me. Using the "Headphone" option on the rear = NO bass.

Plug it into the front panel (on the case if you have one) and then use the "Headphone" option.

I've no idea why this happens, but the Realtek is an extremely cr*ppy codec that I've had to put up with for 3 years now, I hope I will finally buy a DAC soon... or a soundcard.

May 16, 2011 at 7:13 AM Post #4 of 12
Buy a dedicated sound card,the onboard realtek is crap!

May 16, 2011 at 11:01 AM Post #5 of 12
Damnit... I'm debating whether I should get the DG myself, it's like dirt cheap. Or should I save that money towards the EMU 0404? Will I even notice an improvement over the ALC889?

May 16, 2011 at 11:04 AM Post #6 of 12
May 16, 2011 at 11:48 AM Post #8 of 12

Quote:
Do you have any proof of that?

I can tell you that using the optical out to the Z-5500 sounded better than using analog. Means the ALC889 circuitry shouldn't be too hard to beat.
No, it isn't placebo, I'm actually a skeptic - I don't believe in cables or amps sounding differently. But this was pretty damn obvious. No wonder, because like I said, I can also hear hard drive activity, scrolling, etc., through the speakers when connected to the onboard sound. It's like a mini orchestra actually - there's that much noise.

May 16, 2011 at 11:54 AM Post #9 of 12
May 16, 2011 at 5:47 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:
Do you have any proof of that? 

ma
well,I have an ALC889 in my computer,compared to a stock titanium HD there's not to much sound qualty differences to the ears,so sorry for being overreacting,but once I started to change the OpAmps,all I can say is WOW,I can here the singer farts..
L3000.gif
..and the detail is just amazing...one thing I noticed on the realtek,once you start to play a little with the EQ setting,if you push the lows channel up,it will come on the expense of the mids and lows,which this isnt the case with the X-Fi,stock or modded. 
mamfa

May 16, 2011 at 11:57 PM Post #11 of 12
Well, my biggest problem with the realtek onboards isn't necessarily the inherent sound quality, which isn't THAT bad.  Rather, it's the lack of component shielding.  They have this awful buzzing noise all the time, and often I notice an even more awful...rhythmic clicking noise.  It's even worse with sensitive IEMs but is still pretty bad even with full-sized headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back