Realtek ALC892 Does Not Play 88.2Khz Files
Apr 18, 2011 at 5:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

fallsroad

100+ Head-Fier
Recently upgraded the guts of my computer. The Asus P8P67 motherboard uses the Realtek ALC892 audio codec. I am using the optical SPDIF output, Foobar and the WASAPI plug in for it to feed a Headroom Micro DAC.

I can play all of my 24 bit files except for those sampled at 88.2 kHz. Each time I attempt to start one up I get the following error:

"Unrecoverable playback error: Unsupported stream format: 88200 Hz / 24-bit / 2 channels."

I looked up the specs for the ALC892 here:

http://218.210.127.131/products/productsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=24&PFid=28&Level=5&Conn=4&ProdID=284

And under "Features" it says the following:

Primary 16/20/24-bit SPDIF-OUT supports 32k/44.1k/48k/88.2k/96k/192kHz sample rate
Secondary 16/20/24-bit SPDIF-OUT supports 32k/44.1k/48k/88.2k/96k/192kHz sample rate

Not sure which is primary - there is an optical output on the rear connectors from the motherboard, and an internal coaxial SPDIF that did not include a PCI panel with a connector, hence the use of the optical - but both digital outputs list 88.2 in the specs.

In the various properties of the Realtek driver and Windows the 88.2kHz sampling is not listed as an option, yet the hardware allegedly supports it.

Hope someone can help.

Apr 18, 2011 at 5:57 PM Post #2 of 33
Does your MicroDac support 88.2kHz?

Apr 18, 2011 at 10:09 PM Post #4 of 33

Quote:
Does your MicroDac support 88.2kHz?

Reply from Headroom:

"As long as you are using either the optical or coaxial digital inputs, your Micro DAC will handle up to 24Bit/96kHz.  This includes anything in between, including 88.2k."

I am using optical.

This is perplexing. If the specs at my link above are correct, where is the problem located?

Apr 19, 2011 at 1:40 AM Post #5 of 33
I was asking because I found sth here (a little bit older):

http://www.dansdata.com/microstack.htm

Last thing I could imagine are the sound settings of your PC. I can check it this evening when I am back from work.  

Apr 19, 2011 at 3:29 AM Post #6 of 33

Quote:
I was asking because I found sth here (a little bit older):

http://www.dansdata.com/microstack.htm

Last thing I could imagine are the sound settings of your PC. I can check it this evening when I am back from work.  

I appreciate your replies.

That may be the same version I have.

I note the reviewer says:

"The digital input will accept any kind of stereo audio - 16 or 24 bit, and 44.1, 48 or 96kHz."

In my conversation with Headroom I mentioned which version I had, and when I bought it. I am assuming their information about being 88.2 compatible is correct.

Apr 19, 2011 at 3:47 AM Post #7 of 33
Okee I will check it this evening. I have the ALC889 and will find some 88.2kHz files to play via Toslink. Then I can post my settings.

Apr 19, 2011 at 5:05 AM Post #8 of 33
The hardware supporting it does not mean the drivers support it as well. If it doesn't appear in the control panel, I'd say the drivers do not support it. Try updating them.

Apr 19, 2011 at 1:00 PM Post #10 of 33
I have just looked at my settings and have seen that I cannot even choose 88.2kHz when connected via Toslink even the Specs of my onboard soundcard (ALC889) says, that it is possible. Further I ve checked if my DAC can do it and at the DACs' side everything is okay. Further when I try the HiFace and use the coaxial input I can play 88.2kHz and I can choose it in the sound settings. So as a conclusion I think that especially the Toslink digital out cannot play this format but the ALC driver can play it (just using another output).

Apr 19, 2011 at 1:20 PM Post #11 of 33

Quote:
I have just looked at my settings and have seen that I cannot even choose 88.2kHz when connected via Toslink even the Specs of my onboard soundcard (ALC889) says, that it is possible. Further I ve checked if my DAC can do it and at the DACs' side everything is okay. Further when I try the HiFace and use the coaxial input I can play 88.2kHz and I can choose it in the sound settings. So as a conclusion I think that especially the Toslink digital out cannot play this format but the ALC driver can play it (just using another output).

So I'm clear - via Toslink 88.2 is not available in the Realtek digital output properties, but via coax, it is?

Weird.

The motherboard I replaced with the Asus uses the ALC889 codec and also did not allow 88.2 files to play (except under WinXP, where everything is resampled to 48kHz - when I installed Win7 the drop down choices became available). On that set up I was using a coaxial SPDIF connection. In the drop down list for the digital output properties, 88.2 was the sampling rate missing.

Stranger that the specs I linked to above are for each of the two digital outputs available from the Asus board, but only the optical has a connector on the rear panel - the other is an internal header that requires a break out PCI panel with a coax connector. Both list 88.2 as supported.

Guess I'll have to try and find a PCI module that has an SPDIF coax and the right header pin out for the internal Asus connector. I've checked the Asus parts site and they don't list any such thing, and it wasn't included with my board (though there is an illustration of one in the manual under the section describing internal connectors). If I can find such a part I'm willing to try it.

Apr 19, 2011 at 1:29 PM Post #12 of 33

Quote:

The motherboard I replaced with the Asus uses the ALC889 codec and also did not allow 88.2 files to play (except under WinXP, where everything is resampled to 48kHz - when I installed Win7 the drop down choices became available). On that set up I was using a coaxial SPDIF connection. In the drop down list for the digital output properties, 88.2 was the sampling rate missing.

I think you are right because I ve tested it with the HiFace connected in a USB port and as far as I know the Hiface is capable to play this format. Actually I ve heard it :). Nevertheless I ve read the spec at the Realtek homepage and more and more I think when Realtek writes "supoorts" it means to hook sth in-between do really hear it..

Apr 19, 2011 at 1:45 PM Post #13 of 33

Quote:
 Nevertheless I ve read the spec at the Realtek homepage and more and more I think when Realtek writes "supoorts" it means to hook sth in-between do really hear it..

It means to what? :)

I've written to Realtek and Asus support to see if they reply and can shed some light on this. I also contacted the Asus eStore to see if they have the PCI SPDIF module so I can test the coaxial connection and see if the missing 88.2 returns.

The only other alternative is to find a way to alter the sampling rate permanently in all my 88.2 files. I've heard of a program that does this, called R8brain:

http://www.voxengo.com/product/r8brain/

Apr 19, 2011 at 2:19 PM Post #14 of 33
dazwischenschalten :).. thats what I wanted to say .. to hook sth up between the output and the DAC maybe

Yeahh my english is really bad because I normally write too fast..

Apr 19, 2011 at 2:28 PM Post #15 of 33

Quote:
dazwischenschalten :).. thats what I wanted to say .. to hook sth up between the output and the DAC maybe

Yeahh my english is really bad because I normally write too fast..

No worries.

Your English is far better than my German ever was, and I was born there. :)

Hook something up between the optical and the DAC?

I've heard of USB to SDPDIF converters, but they aren't cheap. I'm trying to find the right PCI module for coax.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back