Realtek ALC 892 vs Xonar DG
Mar 16, 2012 at 11:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

markzi

Head-Fier
So, first things first:
- I have a pair of Sennheiser HD598s
- I have a Fiio E7 on the way
- I'm using onboard sound (ALC892)

So, I've been wanting to get the most out of my senns for a while now.

I'm willing to pay up to 100$ for a sound card if it'll make a difference.
A lot of people recommended the Xonar DG, which has an amp, and only costs 30$

1) Is the Xonar DG better than the ALC892 ?

2) Would you recommend another sound card under 100$?

Now, I have a little problem.
I acted quickly by ordering the Fiio E7 (From what I've heard it replaces your sound card).

3) If I connect the E7 without the USB (AMP only) Will it still replace the sound card? Or will it add Sound Quality and stack with the Sound Card's amp?

What should I do? I'm so confused, I've been asking around for a while but no one is giving me a real answer. Thanks in advance.

Mar 16, 2012 at 12:23 PM Post #2 of 10
If you use the USB connection on the E7, the onboard sound (or the Xonar, or whatever) becomes irrelevant - the E7 is your audio controller now. Regarding any sort of sonic upgrades from adding the Asus or simiar; if they're there they're going to be VERY small (and I'm doubting they're there, unless the onboard is faulty (which is very common)). The thing the Xonar can add is additional decoding/processing features that neither the E7 nor the onboard are likely to offer; it's up to you if you need or want those features. I'd probably just hook the E7 up via USB and forget about it - it's nice and simple and will bypass the onboard in the event that it's faulty (e.g. bleeds noise), and you don't have to buy anything else. If you decide that you want or need some of those DSP features a soundcard can get you, grab a soundcard and feed that into the E7's analog input.

Mar 16, 2012 at 2:12 PM Post #4 of 10

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. The thing is, I don't know if the Fiio E7 will be enough to drive the HD598s.

I'm going to "guess" the E7 will drive the HD598 (50-Ohm).
Personally i would send the E7 back and get the E11, it's a better headphone amplifier (just plug it into the Xonar DG)
or just use the Xonar DG.
or send the Xonar DG back and just use the E7.

Mar 16, 2012 at 4:12 PM Post #5 of 10
I can't send back my E7, so I guess I'll have to use it. I'm using a program called guitar rig to record guitar, that's the reason I wanted to get a sound card. Will the Fiio E7 take the role of the sound card and produce better recording quality? If not, I can just get A Xonar DG and plug the Fiio E7 in it AMP only. Right? That way I get the amping of the DG, plus the amping of the E7, plus the DG's recording enhancement. Am I right? Or is it not as simple as that?

Mar 16, 2012 at 8:50 PM Post #6 of 10

You don't want to stack amplifiers, that's how you create clipping (which can lead to blown drivers at the very worst, or absolute crap sound quality at the very least). 

What is your guitar plugging into right now? Just raw into the PC (that can't work!) or do you have a preamp for it? What is that device's name?

There is no "better sound quality" - there is transparent, and all of these devices are transparent (the onboard may bleed noise though, which is a QA thing). The E7 will do nothing for anything related to recording; it's an output device. It doesn't see or care about the guitar; at all.

So basically: more information please. 
Quote:
I can't send back my E7, so I guess I'll have to use it. I'm using a program called guitar rig to record guitar, that's the reason I wanted to get a sound card. Will the Fiio E7 take the role of the sound card and produce better recording quality? If not, I can just get A Xonar DG and plug the Fiio E7 in it AMP only. Right? That way I get the amping of the DG, plus the amping of the E7, plus the DG's recording enhancement. Am I right? Or is it not as simple as that?

Mar 16, 2012 at 8:51 PM Post #7 of 10

Quote:

Daisy chains amplifiers will just add more noise into the signal, so you really just need to use the Xonar DG or E7 separately.
Recording from the guitar's analog output on to the computer uses a ADC (Analog to Digital Converter).
So you want to find the best ADC you can.

Mar 17, 2012 at 6:39 AM Post #8 of 10
Thanks for the info guys, I'm plugging my guitar raw into the PC, and it works pretty well, but the users said I could get waaaay better quality by getting a good sound card. I guess I'll stick with the Fiio E7, and then maybe upgrade to A xonar STX or something,

Mar 17, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #9 of 10

I wouldn't buy a "consumer" soundcard here, I'd get something like the E-MU 0404 which is designed for everything you're doing, including using the guitar. It'll also support ASIO which will make recording a lot better. 
Quote:
Thanks for the info guys, I'm plugging my guitar raw into the PC, and it works pretty well, but the users said I could get waaaay better quality by getting a good sound card. I guess I'll stick with the Fiio E7, and then maybe upgrade to A xonar STX or something,

Mar 17, 2012 at 3:51 PM Post #10 of 10
Good prices on used E-MU 0404 on eBay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back