really struggling with V6 vs. Sennheiser HD280--headphone therapist needed
Oct 22, 2002 at 6:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

ultraviolet353

Head-Fier
Here is what I set out to do: buy the best closed cans for under $100. I found the V6's at a local store (Fry's) for $79. When I put them on I was astonished at how much I loved them. They were driven easily from a portable, sounded even better through my home system, and had great bass extension. I then purchased the Sennheiser 280's from amazon, but it took while for them to arrive. So I was really loving the V6's and pretty sure I would return the 280's. Then the 280's arrived and my initial thought was that the V6's were better because the 280's did not have the bass that the V6's had and they were harder to drive from a pcdp. I was all set to return the 280's when I started hearing the great soundstage that the 280's have. Now I am torn between the bass extension and punch that the V6's offer (with no soundstage) versus the 280's mote transparent sound and greater soundstage. I really do like them both, but I can only keep one. If you were my headphone therapist what would you suggest I do?

Oct 22, 2002 at 7:05 AM Post #3 of 11
Indeed.

Oct 22, 2002 at 7:18 AM Post #4 of 11
Um... HFI-650's? Beyerdynamic DT250-80? DT770 Pro + an amp?

BTW, Magicthyse, when are you going to add these to your DJ shootout?

Ixos DJ1001
Sony MDR-V6 / MDR- 7506
Sennheiser HD25
Ultrasone HFI-650

smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 22, 2002 at 7:34 AM Post #5 of 11
Well... that's all sound advice.

But unfortunately most of us don't really have the capital to be keeping them both as well as buying lots of new toys. Not that any of you suggesting that UV buys more headphones even have the capital... maybe it's best to say most of us aren't as hardcore headphonophiles as you... yet.

I think I know what you are going through, Ultraviolet. It's hard to make a decision which seemingly could alter the very fabric of the rest of your life (ok, maybe I'm stretching it a bit, but for me that's how headphone purchases sometimes feel). Maybe you should make a list of the benefits and detractors of each of the headphones, and then decide from there. Some things you might want to consider are the uses you intend for the phones (studio monitoring or casual listening), portability (280s are a bit bigger and bulkier, but also offer more isolation), and the "i've fallen in love" factor (some headphones just know how to push a guy's buttons y'know). Putting it down on paper makes it easier to analyze. Maybe try that?

And if all else fails, just follow your heart and your brain will follow. What this means is, keep the one that you are most inclined to, and then your brain will begin justifying why you have done so until you end up being quite content with your choice.

Oct 22, 2002 at 11:24 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by Gluegun
Um... HFI-650's? Beyerdynamic DT250-80? DT770 Pro + an amp?

BTW, Magicthyse, when are you going to add these to your DJ shootout?

Ixos DJ1001
Sony MDR-V6 / MDR- 7506
Sennheiser HD25
Ultrasone HFI-650

smily_headphones1.gif

I'm all Headphoned out for a while. I'm surrounded by the things here and even I've realised that addiction has set in. I've held off ordering some new phones I wanted, although I'm going to order a pair of Etys when I travel soon, but that's going to be it for now, unless someone can lend me one.

Oct 22, 2002 at 3:52 PM Post #7 of 11
They are both nice headphones, so you're not going to be wrong in either case. I would just listen to as much music as I could in as many different situations as I normally would until it's time to return one. I would then return the one I was less inclined to listen to.

Oct 22, 2002 at 10:57 PM Post #8 of 11
My advice: If you really love them both, and you find them very different, keep them both. It's REAL nice to have some different sounds at your fingertips. In the future, don't buy anything recommended here unless you intend to keep it -- these people argue till they're blue in the face, but they have honed in on the exceptional headphones to argue over.

Oct 22, 2002 at 11:41 PM Post #9 of 11
These people aren't helping, are they?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Personally, I prefer the v6s. The thing is, I just loathe the 280s. Not sure why, but they just don't do it for me. Now, beyer 250-80s otoh. . . get those.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 23, 2002 at 7:08 AM Post #11 of 11
I have very little experience, as I've only heard a few different pairs of headphones which are considered good enough to be talked about and recommended in Head-Fi forums all the time. But, I tried out the V6 (was actually labeled the 7506 in this particular instance...at least on _one_ of the driver housings
wink.gif
) tonight, and I was quite impressed with it. I was curious to listen to it, after hearing how good its bass handling was, and it lived up to the reputation. Tight and detailed. It had other good qualities as well, but I'll just focus on the bass. I didn't know my own mind on the subject until just recently, but now I think that a great bass response is mandatory. Of course, once you've got that, you must have appreciably good sound in the rest of the frequency spectrum. But, I don't think that's a problem, at least not for me. Bottom line, for my tastes, is to find the products with the best bass, and then see how they differentiate themselves in other areas that matter to me (or you, if you feel like I do).

BTW, I've not heard the 280s, so I can't recommend the V6s over them specifically, but you know what I'm trying to say...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back