really slim PCDPs: how do these two look?
Nov 18, 2003 at 2:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

nleahcim

100+ Head-Fier
Hi - I need to get a portable cd player for my sister. I'd like it to be as small as possible and have as good of shock protection as possible. She's the kind of person that uses the headphones that come with the PCDP - so as long as it sounds ok that will be fine. Also - she's in law school right now - so money is really really really tight. So here are the two I currently am considering:

Panasonic SL-CT700:
http://shop4.outpost.com/product/3598614

Philips AX7201
http://shop4.outpost.com/product/3626445

They both fit her budget - and are both pretty cheap. Currently I'm leaning towards the Phillips with it's amazing 75 hour battery life. What do you think?

Nov 18, 2003 at 2:32 AM Post #2 of 17
I've seen them both, and if it matters, the Panasonic looks a lot better than the Philips one, but I don't know anything besides that; OH!! the pana doesn't have a pause button
eek.gif

Nov 18, 2003 at 7:02 AM Post #3 of 17
Well, I dunno about those two pcdps, but I think you can fix your sister's headphone problem easily. Koss KSC-50 clip-on earphones for $12.34 on Amazon. The KSC-50 is the undisputed king of sub-$30 'phones, and definitely one of the best under $60.
smily_headphones1.gif
(How come there's no KSC-50/35 smiley?)

Nov 18, 2003 at 10:59 AM Post #4 of 17
the Pana may look better, but the Philips is all metal. feels real nice
biggrin.gif
the Pana has MP3 support though.

I have no clue about the quality of either though. Pana has a good history of quality CDPs, while Philips just has the reputation of making the ugliest CDPs in the history of mankind.
rolleyes.gif

I'd buy the Pana. our 'consumentenbond' figured it was the easiest to use, and best overall quality. and they still have the rep.

Nov 19, 2003 at 1:55 AM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by D-EJ915
I've seen them both, and if it matters, the Panasonic looks a lot better than the Philips one, but I don't know anything besides that; OH!! the pana doesn't have a pause button
eek.gif

Are you sure it really doesn't have a pause button anywhere? I'm going to go try to find the manual for that little fellah...

Nov 19, 2003 at 2:10 AM Post #7 of 17
ah-ha! finally found the manual. I must say that was quite the pain in the arsch. Panasonic really needs to redesign that website of theirs. Anyways - the remote has a play/stop button - but the actual cd player has a play/pause button - so that should be fine I think. Anyone else have any opinions about either? They're looking really similar right now...

Nov 19, 2003 at 3:04 AM Post #8 of 17
The US CT700 is actually the silver color, don't be lured over by the Audiocubes pic, it doesn' have the white color to it, and the plastic on the top isn't as clear either...it's kinda fuzzy.

If you wanted to know, my sister has gone through 3 panasonic PCDPs that have all died (she got the last one like 4 years ago and it still works)...meanwhile my philips player I've had since 1999 or so just up and died one day while I as in germany and just gives garbled static now...whatever.

Nov 19, 2003 at 8:50 AM Post #9 of 17
do not buy from fry's. i have found that most of their stuff has been returned several times - around here its the "white sticker of death." i've never bought something with a sticker on it that worked well, or at all. bought a CD player for Grandma one time - had a cracked LCD. fry's is the devil. returns are hell too - i can only imagine what its like returning a web purchase.

brian

Nov 20, 2003 at 1:02 AM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by akio
do not buy from fry's. i have found that most of their stuff has been returned several times - around here its the "white sticker of death." i've never bought something with a sticker on it that worked well, or at all. bought a CD player for Grandma one time - had a cracked LCD. fry's is the devil. returns are hell too - i can only imagine what its like returning a web purchase.

brian

I wasn't planning on it - right now I'm just trying to figure out what PCDP I want - and then I'll shop around for the best price.

Nov 20, 2003 at 7:53 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by akio

brian

Man Fry's is like the coolest place ever, I don't know what you're talking about, they have excellent prices often. *Shrug*

EDIT: That Pana looks like the person love child of Mark Hamill and Carrot Top...

Nov 28, 2003 at 10:42 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by terrymx
buy the philips because its built more durable. (you asked for opinion, thats what you get)

That's the one I'm leaning towards ATM too. But what makes you think it's more durable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back