Really need some help with Lepai amp / Galaxy Note 2 problem
Jul 3, 2013 at 12:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Abouna

500+ Head-Fier
OK, so a while a back I bought a Lepai amp to pair with Dayton bookshelf speakers (the combo everyone is so fond of for the money).

I'm using this at work with my phone via headphone out.

At first it was a sweet set-up.  Unfortunately some months ago a switched from a Razr to a Galaxy Note 2.  That's when my problems started.

I simply cannot go past a certain volume without the signal cutting out.  Once I hit that volume level it's constant intermittent cutting out and on.

I've tried the following combos:

- headphone out to headphone in on the amp
- headphone out to RCA in on the amp
- low volume on the phone high volume on amp
- high phone volume low amp volume

Same results no matter what.  I can only surmise a couple things:

- something is happening between the amp and headphone jack on the phone.  Is it back looping power to the phone or vise versa somehow?
- the blue ring around the volume knob on the amp dims whenever the sound cuts.  No idea what this means.

This has gotten to the point where I'm not using the set-up at all since I can't get the volume I want without cutting out.

Help!

Jul 4, 2013 at 3:14 PM Post #3 of 4
No expert but I own 4 of the lepai 2020+. They drive all my speakers ( 88db to 91 db) to a very loud level and never clipping.  You have the following issues :

1. Overdriving your amp to clipping. The Lepai will cut itself off to protect itself from further damage.
2. Bad cables.
3. Speaker cables on the Lepai short out . Check your speakers connection.

Jul 4, 2013 at 3:24 PM Post #4 of 4
BTW, the Dayton you are talking about is 6/8 Ohm nominal and 88 DB. if you need listen to a louder volume without clipping your amp, look for speakers with  91 DB or more.

Remember the rule of thumb,  let say jumping from 100 WPC to 200 WPC amp , it only increases 3 DB in loudness level perceive.

Hope you get the idea. Best wish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back