Really MEAN classical
Apr 8, 2004 at 6:59 PM Post #16 of 28
I will try to to listen to more classical myself. Might have to order a few of those cds.
wink.gif

Apr 9, 2004 at 11:00 PM Post #20 of 28
Try some of Mahler's song cycles.

Two of my favorites (and ones which I guess you could call MEAN):

* Kindertotenlieder (Songs of the Death of Children)
- I suggest you look for Kathleen Ferrier with Bruno Walter (out on EMI best recordings of the century, good price, great quality, Ferrier <3 <3 <3)
- Another great options are Christa Ludwig with Herbert von Karajan and Brigitte Fassbaender with Sergiu Celebidache. Also, Janet Baker with Sir John Barbirolli (under EMI best recordings of the century) is also considered one of the great versions by many.

* Das Lied von der Erde (The Songs of the Earth)
- My favorite version: Kathleen Ferrier and Julius Patzak with Bruno Walter, out on DECCA's Legends series, recently remastered. There's also the live version which is even stronger, out on Tara Records, as "Kathleen Ferrier: In Memoriam - Das Lied von der Erde".
- Other favorites are: Brigitte Fassbaender and Francisto Araiza with Carlo Maria Giulini. Also, Christa Ludwig and Fritz Wunderlich with Otto Klemperer under EMI's Best Recorings of the Century series is great.

580smile.gif

May 11, 2004 at 4:42 AM Post #27 of 28
How about exciting and bombastic? The 1st Tchaikovsky Piano Concerto (Argerich on piano), and his 4th, 5th, and 6th symphonies (Mravinsky on Deutsche Gramaphon). Pretty intense stuff.

May 11, 2004 at 6:27 AM Post #28 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by third_eye
Mussorgsky-Pictures at an Exhibition.

Hmmm, I played that (in real life)
It's funky, but I would say it's MEAN
tongue.gif

Get Perlman's spanish stuff.
Got some wicked playing going on in there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back