Really Impressed With RS-1's...
Aug 2, 2006 at 3:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

Cousin Patty

Headphoneus Supremus
I just recently acquired a pair of RS-1's from a member here on the FS/FT thread. All I can say is that I am incredibly impressed with these headphones when they are synergizing with a perticular recording.

Specifically I wanted to talk about Metallica's ... and Justice for All and Master of Puppets. From the headphones that I've had up until now, none of them could convey these two recordings in a way that I felt was right. I always had a problem with these two recordings while listening to them on headphones and even went as far to say that I thought the recordings were bad. I simply didnt like how the tone of the guitars and drums were being presented on other 'phones. All that has changed now that I've listened to them through the RS-1's.

The first thing that I noticed was of course the guitar tone. It was obvious right away that these headphones were just right on when it came to the tone of the guitars. ...and Justice for All's guitars have this sort of resonant quality to them (as a result of doubling the guitar tracks I assume) that I felt was being held back with other headphones. All the bass on this recording is being produced by the guitars and drums. The RS-1's really allowed the guitars to open up and gave them bass they need. Not only the bass improved but the guitars stopped sounding nasal-like and harsh. Great tone took its place. This brings me to my next point...

If you know anything about Metallica and ...and Justice for All specifically, you'll know that the bass guitar parts on this album are notoriously non-existant. I was amazed when I was actually able to hear some of Jason's bass work in the music with the RS-1's. Now, dont get me wrong, it's still very much hidden in the mix, but just the fact that these headphones allowed the notes to poke their head up now and then was really awesome IMO. The RS-1's also managed to bring Lars' kick drum to a level where I felt it needed to be. I finally felt the smack of the kickdrum was being presented correctly and at a suitable volume.

As for Master of Puppets, this recording always seemed kind of distant with a very nasal-like guitar tone. The RS-1's again allowed the recording to just open up and really fill up the headphones with sound and great guitar and drum tone. And of course I was hearing things in the recording I never heard before. Cliff's bass lines came through better than ever.

The RS-1's are great for alot of other recordings too, but I really knew that these were special when they were finally able to make these two recordings that I had issues with, not only listenable, but just sounding plain badass. This was something the SR225, K701, and HD595 were simply not able to do.

Aug 2, 2006 at 3:16 PM Post #2 of 37
Congrats on your new toy, great phones! Have tried them last week myself and was really impressed to. Detailed, refined and very good sounding with different kind of music, include ROCK. Our model was like 7 years old, but in very good condition.
I am waiting my RS2 that I did buy last week. Very interesting how different it will be...
Cheers
wink.gif

Aug 2, 2006 at 3:52 PM Post #3 of 37
Congrats!

They are legendary at this point.

There was a time when the Senn 600 and RS-1 were the two rivals -- and now the RS-1 is still talked about constantly and the Senn 600 is, well, mostly forgotten.

Makes me wonder how the 650 will be down the road?
cool.gif

Aug 2, 2006 at 4:07 PM Post #5 of 37
I loved my rs-1's too. I enjoyed them more so then the legendary hp-2. The were just more fun to me. I even preferred them to the L3000 many of the times.

I will definantly be picking up another pair in the feauture

Aug 2, 2006 at 4:41 PM Post #6 of 37
I cant wait until I upgrade my source and amp. Its hard to imagine the music sounding even better than it does now...

Aug 2, 2006 at 6:58 PM Post #8 of 37
Awesome, I am eagerly anticipating mine as well and I think one of the best ways to find out the quality of a headphone is to play some rock/metal because they are the hardest IMO to portray sonically.

I also have ...And Justice For All and can't wait to hear them on the RS1s.

Aug 2, 2006 at 7:12 PM Post #9 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Computerpro3
I love my RS-1. It's made me stop lusting after other headphones

ditto

Aug 2, 2006 at 8:07 PM Post #10 of 37
Congrats!! RS1 is a wonderful thing.. isn't it? I have yet to hear a headphone that (as you point out) faithfully replicates the sound of a resonating guitar cabinet as well as the RS1. Even high end, speakers and their ~5 inch mids can't come close.

I believe They used mesa colliseum rack amps, ADA MP-1 preamps and mesa black shadow loaded 4x12 cabinets in those sessions to get a VERY bassy, chunky distorted guitar tone.

IMHO every guitar player on this forum owes it too themselves to at least demo the RS1... and hear what you've been missing all along.

I love tom and snare tones too. It actually sounds like a hollow chamber resonating making the sound

rs1smile.gif
rs1smile.gif
rs1smile.gif
rs1smile.gif
rs1smile.gif
rs1smile.gif
rs1smile.gif
rs1smile.gif
rs1smile.gif
rs1smile.gif
rs1smile.gif
rs1smile.gif
rs1smile.gif
rs1smile.gif
rs1smile.gif

Aug 2, 2006 at 8:41 PM Post #11 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321
Congrats!

They are legendary at this point.

There was a time when the Senn 600 and RS-1 were the two rivals -- and now the RS-1 is still talked about constantly and the Senn 600 is, well, mostly forgotten.

Makes me wonder how the 650 will be down the road?
cool.gif

I'll have to disagree with your reasoning there. The HD600 was mostly forgotten because there was a replacement for it, the HD650, in the same price range. The RS-1 was not forgotten because there was no such replacement; there is the GS-1000 but it's retail price is $300 more than the RS-1 and wasn't meant as a replacement.

If you check on Sennheiser's history, the HD650 was meant to improve upon the HD600's shortcomings and more.

Try coming out with an RS-1 replacement, then we'll see if the RS-1 become forgotten. Sort of like how the SR-200's are not talked about too much since the SR-225's came out, or the SR-325's when the SR-325i's came out.

And, like their predecessors, there are still plenty of people who prefer the HD600 sound.

Aug 3, 2006 at 1:09 AM Post #12 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by daba
I'll have to disagree with your reasoning there. The HD600 was mostly forgotten because there was a replacement for it, the HD650, in the same price range. The RS-1 was not forgotten because there was no such replacement; there is the GS-1000 but it's retail price is $300 more than the RS-1 and wasn't meant as a replacement.

If you check on Sennheiser's history, the HD650 was meant to improve upon the HD600's shortcomings and more.

Try coming out with an RS-1 replacement, then we'll see if the RS-1 become forgotten. Sort of like how the SR-200's are not talked about too much since the SR-225's came out, or the SR-325's when the SR-325i's came out.

And, like their predecessors, there are still plenty of people who prefer the HD600 sound.

Really? a replacement? Yet on the Sennheisser website it lists the 600 $449 and 650 $549 and nothing saying the 600 was made obsolete by the 650?
confused.gif

Look here http://www.sennheiserusa.com/newsite...p?transid=cat4

count me as one of those that prefer the 600 sound to the 650
biggrin.gif
- I'm definately in the minority though.

Aug 3, 2006 at 2:52 AM Post #13 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321
Really? a replacement? Yet on the Sennheisser website it lists the 600 $449 and 650 $549 and nothing saying the 600 was made obsolete by the 650?
confused.gif

Look here http://www.sennheiserusa.com/newsite...p?transid=cat4

count me as one of those that prefer the 600 sound to the 650
biggrin.gif
- I'm definately in the minority though.

You have an invalid argument. That's great that Sennheiser doesn't consider it a replacement and all -- you missed the point. You also tend to ignore the rest of my statement and choose to pick at semantics.

Is there a headphone that offers a substitute to the RS1 or not? If there was, would the RS1 be forgotten?

You claim that once the RS1 and the HD600 were compared, now the HD600 is talked about less. I claim that this is because the HD650 has come out and perceived as a direct "upgrade" to the HD600. Nothing in a similar price range has come out to substitute the RS1, so why would it just fade away? The HD650's have also achieved "legendary" status and have become rather popular.

Anyways let's end this argument now for sake of the thread. Take your last few pot shots and be over with it.

Aug 3, 2006 at 5:08 AM Post #14 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by daba
You have an invalid argument. That's great that Sennheiser doesn't consider it a replacement and all -- you missed the point. You also tend to ignore the rest of my statement and choose to pick at semantics.

Is there a headphone that offers a substitute to the RS1 or not? If there was, would the RS1 be forgotten?

You claim that once the RS1 and the HD600 were compared, now the HD600 is talked about less. I claim that this is because the HD650 has come out and perceived as a direct "upgrade" to the HD600. Nothing in a similar price range has come out to substitute the RS1, so why would it just fade away? The HD650's have also achieved "legendary" status and have become rather popular.

Anyways let's end this argument now for sake of the thread. Take your last few pot shots and be over with it.

No argument, just a friendly discussion. I guess we'll see if the GS-1000 replaces the RS-1 and what happens to the RS-1.

The 650 has a different driver and is a big leap away from the 600, moreso than the 580 to 600. I guess we disagree about whether its a replacement or another model at another price level. I do agree though that the 650 would already be considered legendary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back