Really frustrated!!
Jun 30, 2003 at 2:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Hiker

500+ Head-Fier
A few days ago I thought that I was set to buy a NAD 541I, but now I am not so sure. I came upon the Philips 963 SA recently and heard that it was pretty good. However, I am not sure of a specific price for this model, nor am I sure that it is necessarily as good as or better than the NAD. The clear advantage of the Philips is the ability to play SACDs. Is this format going to be the future format for sure or will it end up being DVD-A?? I know this is up in the air so I don't want to waste my money on SACD equipment now if I will get screwed a few years down the road. If the sound quality of the Philips is as good as or better than the NAD on standard CDs then I would definately go for it. However, if the Philips falls short, I don't want to take the risk. I know I will have to audition them both, but I would just like to hear some thoughts about these players, SACD vs. DVD-A, etc. Thanks a lot.

Hiker

P.S. What does anyone know about the Onkyo DVSP800 which has both SACD and DVD-A capabilities, but is waaaaaay out of my budget unless it is really that good. The Pioneer DV45A as well.

Jun 30, 2003 at 4:36 AM Post #2 of 9
I don't think SACD is gonna be a losing format. The Philips does a incredibile job on rebook with upsampling. I do have both players, so i can really say they are both good in their own ways. If you decide to take the SACD plunge, The philips can't be beat for overall specifications. It's great on SACD, upsampling to 24/192 means great rebook capabilities without having to buy a seperate DAC.

The NAD 541I is a great player fo rebook as well, has HDCD encoding as well. The NAD 541I can be a touch bright , but I was able to "warm it up" with the addition of some IC's made from Belden 505A cable.

As far as bulid quality, the NAD does have a adtvantage, seems a lil bit more stout then the Philips. Its a very minalist face plate. I do like the color as well a dark grey.

The Philips has a brushed alumium faceplate, alil bit more busy, but it is also a DVD player as well. I know there have been concerns about a ticking noise on the Philips transport, but I've been lucky, no problem at all. I've also heard that players built after April have a new fireware update.

Either way, you can't go wrong. I've found a philips 963SA for 299.00 refurbushed with a 90 day warranty. I've also found a refurbushed NAD 541I for 319.00 as well. The NAd comes with a one year warranty.

I guess to sum it up, it all depends on your CD collection, and if your willing to take the jump into SACD. Try to audution them if you can. Good Luck.

Jul 2, 2003 at 2:47 AM Post #4 of 9
Thanks guys. This helped quite a bit. Since both players are the same price, I think I will probably go with the Philips because of the extra capabilities. By the way, where did you get your reburbished 963 SA, orl2222?

Jul 2, 2003 at 4:39 AM Post #5 of 9
Actually, I got mine for J&R for the 360.00 price plus shipping, which is you call there they will sell it to you for that. I also found one here in So Cal for 299.00 refurbished for 299.00, that on carries a 90 day warranty. thei website for that store is:
http://www.electroline4u.com/shopsit...VD_Player.html

I'm thinking of picking up another 963 SA refurb for my bedroom rig. Since this store is locally here in Los Angeles. that way I'll save on shipping charges.

Jul 2, 2003 at 1:07 PM Post #6 of 9
That sounds like a decent deal. But has anyone had any experience with the Onkyo DVSP800 or the Pioneer DV45A? Both of these have SACD AND DVD-A capabilites.

Jul 2, 2003 at 4:13 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by orl2222
Actually, I got mine for J&R for the 360.00 price plus shipping, which is you call there they will sell it to you for that. I also found one here in So Cal for 299.00 refurbished for 299.00, that on carries a 90 day warranty. thei website for that store is:
http://www.electroline4u.com/shopsit...VD_Player.html

I'm thinking of picking up another 963 SA refurb for my bedroom rig. Since this store is locally here in Los Angeles. that way I'll save on shipping charges.

Save on Shipping, but pay tax
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 2, 2003 at 8:48 PM Post #8 of 9
I kind of had my heart set on the Nad C541i as well (see my other thread). But this might change my preference. As for the format war, I think when it comes down to it, you get a decent redbook player with upsampling capability and a sweet DVD player for 360 + shipping. That sounds like a good deal to me. SACD is just icing on the cake for me because that allows me to sample the technology if I decide to take on higher-definition recording (SACD, DVDA, HDCD, whatnot).

I have a pretty sizable DVD collection, actually I have more DVDs than CDs. So Maybe the Philips is a better source for me. I am also very interested in the upsampling function.

Jul 3, 2003 at 11:19 PM Post #9 of 9
I'm not to much of a fan of the redbook play of the 963SA. But if your into DVD's the philips will blow you away with the DVD playback. I didn't listen to SACD with mine, and alot of people do think it is good for redbook cd's. IMO it's worth the price just to watch movies with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back