Really fast and newb question
Nov 28, 2004 at 5:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Interesting

New Head-Fier
I always 'hear' a constant mention of microphonics. What is it exactly?
confused.gif

Nov 28, 2004 at 5:55 AM Post #2 of 18
Microphonics is common with the use of canalphones; by sealing up your ear canal, certain sounds can get "trapped" within the space between the plugs and the inside of your ear: i.e. chewing, swallowing and most of all, anything brushing up against the headphone cord.

It's a bit unsettling at first (especially if you try to eat something with canalphones in your ears =P) but most people I know got used to it. Some phones are worse than others with microphonics; the ER-4Ps are really sensitive to this, especially anything brushing the cord.

I've used MD33s, EX71s and E2cs extensively and I'm not overly bothered by the microphonics of either of the three. Sometimes running, or wearing hard-soled shoes, can get annoying, but I've worn heels and walked on hard tile while wearing E2cs, and it didn't really bother me that much. (The sound of the heels hitting the tile was loud, anyhow... ^^)

Nov 28, 2004 at 6:05 AM Post #3 of 18
Microphonics :

The phenomenon by which disturbances on physical surfaces of the amplifier/cable/headphone are amplified and become audible through the speakers/headsets.

Cables rubbing against fabric is audible in some headphones and not so audible in others. This is down to cable design and it also depends on the fabric in question.

Tube microphonice - tubes are affected by vibrations/touch/electric and magnetic fields and radio waves etc. - results in disturbances getting amplified and becoming audible.

This is, briefly, a description of microphonics.

Nov 28, 2004 at 6:06 AM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
Microphonics :

The phenomenon by which disturbances on physical surfaces of the amplifier/cable/headphone are amplified and become audible through the speakers/headsets.

Cables rubbing against fabric is audible in some headphones and not so audible in others. This is down to cable design and it also depends on the fabric in question.

Tube microphonice - tubes are affected by vibrations/touch/electric and magnetic fields and radio waves etc. - results in disturbances getting amplified and becoming audible.

This is, briefly, a description of microphonics.

I had this problem in one of my amps.

Nov 28, 2004 at 6:23 AM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
I would get the E3C purely because of the better BASS and funner sound for a cheaper price.

Totally agreed. And they're actually comfortable, while the ER-4Ps take a lot of getting used to.

Nov 28, 2004 at 6:31 AM Post #9 of 18
Your fast responses dazzle me.
icon10.gif

Since I already started a thread, might as well use it to its full extent.
cool.gif

I read that the e3/er4 lacks in bass? In comparison to the mdr-e888, would you say the e3/er4 has more base than it?

Nov 28, 2004 at 6:38 AM Post #10 of 18
E3 is a little less punchy than the E2. Of all the budget IEMs the E2 is bettered in the bass department ONLY by Shure E5
smily_headphones1.gif

I have the E5. I spent 70% of the time with E2, 20% with E3 and 10% with E5.

Well...maybe because the E5's are new and I wanna keep them line forever
tongue.gif
LOL

No experience with mdr-e888

Nov 28, 2004 at 6:42 AM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Interesting
Your fast responses dazzle me.
icon10.gif

Since I already started a thread, might as well use it to its full extent.
cool.gif

I read that the e3/er4 lacks in bass? In comparison to the mdr-e888, would you say the e3/er4 has more base than it?

I don't know the mdr-888, but it's an easy bet that the Etys don't have more more bass than anything.Even equalized they are definitely not made for bassheads.

Nov 28, 2004 at 12:04 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by aeriyn
I've worn heels and walked on hard tile while wearing E2cs, and it didn't really bother me that much. (The sound of the heels hitting the tile was loud, anyhow... ^^)

LOL sometimes I forget we actually do have a few women on this board...
icon10.gif
I was like "Heels?!?"
blink.gif

I have E2's and E5's. With either one mircophonics are not a big deal. I borrowed some ER4s' for a while and they had major issues with microphonics...

Nov 28, 2004 at 12:19 PM Post #15 of 18
I would probably say that in total the MDR-E888 has less bass than the ER4P... where it claws it back (slightly) is with midbass...

Scrub the E888 off of your list if you can
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back