Really Dumb Newbie Question... Are Headphone cables Interconnects or Speaker cables?
Dec 20, 2001 at 8:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

merc

100+ Head-Fier
Okay guys... sorry for asking this, but heck, where else could I ask?
On your rec I bought a pair of Senn HD-600s which I love only powered from my B&K Ref 30 pre/pro headphone output. I have since ordered the MG Head Amp. Now, I am wondering... can I make a nice set of headphone cables from some bulk DH Labs silver sonic cable? If so, where can I find the ends which terminate in the headphones?
Thanks!

Dec 20, 2001 at 8:30 AM Post #2 of 5
I am quite sure that headphone cables are like speaker cables. Resistance is a bad thing, unless you want to make the headphones harder to drive (Would probably smooth out the sound too), although I have this nagging feeling a resistor at the end of the cable would cause less sonic degridation then a 75 ohm cable.

Speaker wire is made to have the smallest resistance possible, phono cables are supposed to conform to being 75 ohms, so, I don't think it is a good idea
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 20, 2001 at 12:12 PM Post #3 of 5
You really can't find the termination plugs anywhere... you'd have to bastardize one for yourself if you want to DIY the headphone cable.

And since the HD600 is a transducer, I would think that speaker cables would be alike. Though then again the type of cable really doesn't tell much, because IC and speaker cables can sometimes be interchanged (esp the Jon Risch DIY types).

You want low resistance for any type of cable, speaker or IC, or digital or whatever. That 75ohm reading is not DC resistance, but rather RF resistance... the cable is still close to 0 ohms.

Dec 20, 2001 at 1:29 PM Post #4 of 5
I replaced the cord on my sons SR60 with a Radio Shack dual RCA to mini-plug interconnect. I lopped off the plugs, stripped the wire down and soldered to the driver boards. They sound great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back