Really cool physics TV show on NOVA
Nov 22, 2003 at 2:56 AM Post #16 of 41
Quote:

Originally posted by fractus2
Music Fanatic, is this the book? You got me interested.

edit: I wonder if this is the whole book?

That is the book, and a nice edition too. Here is a much more expensive annotated edition. There are many sequels written, including "flatterland" and "sphereland" if you get interested in this. I once read that more than 100 sequels were written by different authors -- but maybe that is hyperbole. In any case the original is great.

The web site you pointed too doesn't have any illustrations, and I think that takes A LOT away from the book. I'd go for the $1.50 version and enjoy the illustrations.

Nov 22, 2003 at 2:57 AM Post #17 of 41
Quote:

Originally posted by minya
Another fascinating book for physics freaks (and contains some very interesting theories regarding the nature and existence of time as well as the fourth+ dimension):

Tertium Organum by P.D. Ouspensky
B]

This is a work of mysticism well outside of mainstream thought. I can not join you in recommending it.

Nov 22, 2003 at 3:16 AM Post #18 of 41
Quote:

Originally posted by Music Fanatic
This is a work of mysticism well outside of mainstream thought. I can not join you in recommending it.

Mysticism? Perhaps. Nevertheless, I don't see how being "well outside of mainstream thought" should be considered a damning influence.

- Chris

Nov 22, 2003 at 3:21 AM Post #19 of 41
Quote:

Originally posted by minya
Mysticism? Perhaps. Nevertheless, I don't see how being "well outside of mainstream thought" should be considered a damning influence.

You put words in my mouth. I just wanted to put the book in context. I hope each person can make up his or her own mind as to whether this is a serious or credible work.

Nov 22, 2003 at 3:24 AM Post #20 of 41
I have yet to watch these shows, but have done a bit of reading on the matter.

So, by the current theories, would I still be able to take a space ship across the universe for an infinite amount of time in one direction, and end up back at the same place?

Nov 22, 2003 at 3:34 AM Post #21 of 41
Quote:

Originally posted by chillysalsa
I have yet to watch these shows, but have done a bit of reading on the matter.

So, by the current theories, would I still be able to take a space ship across the universe for an infinite amount of time in one direction, and end up back at the same place?

I'm sorry, but it would take you an infinite amount of time to travel for an infinite amount of time, so one can not speak about what would happen at the end of that infinity.

But if you are asking "is the universe finite?" most scientists believe the answer is yes.

Nov 22, 2003 at 3:42 AM Post #22 of 41
Quote:

But if you are asking "is the universe finite?" most scientists believe the answer is yes.

Yes. Just checking.

smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 22, 2003 at 4:43 AM Post #24 of 41
musicfanatic,
it seems you're agreeing with me? yes, i read "flatland" as a kid. great book. topography is something that has always fascinated me.

Nov 22, 2003 at 4:50 AM Post #25 of 41
Quote:

Originally posted by TWIFOSP
3 hours, 3 eps.

If you missed the 3rd (or any part of it), click the link to watch it online.

Now, if only I can identify that damn cello piece, you have no idea how much it's bugging me!

It's a Bach suite, which was mentioned earlier. I thought I remembered hearing the first song of the first suite. I saw the first two episodes when they aired on PBS, then, sadly they didn't air the third episode here, they showed something entirely different. VERY ANNOYING. I'm glad to see they are available online.

As for the suites, later in the show they were playing a different selection but still from the Bach suites.

I guarantee that the songs (in the first two episodes) you heard were Bach cello suites. Just go buy the whole lot. There are six, I recommend Rostropovich or possibly Ma's EARLY recordings. Ma has done several of the suites and the best has a purplish cd jacket. I own four different recordings of Bachs cello suites, one by Ma, one by Rostropovich, one by Starker, and one by Casals. Casals is good, but the recording quality is going to sound like it's from the 30's, because it is. Starker is overrated, maybe some people like his style, but to tell the truth he's sloppy.

Go with early Ma or Rostropovich.

Nov 22, 2003 at 6:47 AM Post #27 of 41
Quote:

Originally posted by antwone
It's a Bach suite, which was mentioned earlier. I thought I remembered hearing the first song of the first suite. I saw the first two episodes when they aired on PBS, then, sadly they didn't air the third episode here, they showed something entirely different. VERY ANNOYING. I'm glad to see they are available online.

As for the suites, later in the show they were playing a different selection but still from the Bach suites.

I guarantee that the songs (in the first two episodes) you heard were Bach cello suites. Just go buy the whole lot. There are six, I recommend Rostropovich or possibly Ma's EARLY recordings. Ma has done several of the suites and the best has a purplish cd jacket. I own four different recordings of Bachs cello suites, one by Ma, one by Rostropovich, one by Starker, and one by Casals. Casals is good, but the recording quality is going to sound like it's from the 30's, because it is. Starker is overrated, maybe some people like his style, but to tell the truth he's sloppy.

Go with early Ma or Rostropovich.

Err, which one? I have most of the bach suites, 2 3 4 6... I can't seem to find it.

Help?
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 22, 2003 at 6:49 AM Post #28 of 41
Quote:

Originally posted by fractus2
I've got this one. Great music. Highly recommended in the Penguin Guide (Rosette and Key recording).

I have this cd....

Nov 22, 2003 at 6:53 AM Post #29 of 41
Quote:

That is the book, and a nice edition too. Here is a much more expensive annotated edition. There are many sequels written, including "flatterland" and "sphereland" if you get interested in this. I once read that more than 100 sequels were written by different authors -- but maybe that is hyperbole. In any case the original is great.

The web site you pointed too doesn't have any illustrations, and I think that takes A LOT away from the book. I'd go for the $1.50 version and enjoy the illustrations.

I've used both -Flatland- and -Sphereland- as textbooks in classes. Flatland is told in a charming Victorian mode, but Sphereland has more interesting philosophy/physics about dimensions.
cool.gif

Nov 22, 2003 at 1:37 PM Post #30 of 41
Quote:

Originally posted by daycart1
I've used both -Flatland- and -Sphereland- as textbooks in classes. Flatland is told in a charming Victorian mode, but Sphereland has more interesting philosophy/physics about dimensions.
cool.gif

A friend uses Flatland as a book in a first-year/sophomore class on historical science fiction.

Flatland and Sphereland are available in a single omnibus volume Flatland and Sphereland are available in a single ominbus volume for $10.50 from Amazon.

Here are some other Flatland sequels that are in print and available from Amazon:

The Planiverse

Flatterland

Spaceland

Users who are viewing this thread

Back