Realistically, could I drive 250 Ohm Beyerdynamics from a Zune?
Oct 3, 2008 at 12:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Tmacfan4321

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all, I was just looking into both the DT 880s and the DT 770s. Do you think I could power these with a Zune and get an enjoyable listening experience out of them without an Amp?

I have heard that it lowers the overall listening volume considerably when you have this much impedance when only using a DAP for an audio source.

I have searched around here and I haven't gotten a sure-fire answer.

Thanks.

Oct 3, 2008 at 12:49 AM Post #2 of 11
At low volume it will surely be enjoyable. I'm sure you can imagine that it will be far from optimal. The 250 Ohm Beyers are fairly power hungry. I have the 2003 DT-880 and I've tried it straight from a DAP. You will hear no real bass with crippled dynamic impact.

Any amp should give you more volume but not necessarily good quality.

Oct 3, 2008 at 12:52 AM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At low volume it will surely be enjoyable. I'm sure you can imagine that it will be far from optimal. The 250 Ohm Beyers are fairly power hungry. I have the 2003 DT-880 and I've tried it straight from a DAP. You will hear no real bass with crippled dynamic impact.

Any amp should give you more volume but not necessarily good quality.

Aren't the 2003s 600 ohm? I thought I had heard that the older models had higher impedance.

Oct 3, 2008 at 1:02 AM Post #4 of 11
While waiting for my q-jays to arrive, i'm using my senn 580s (300ohm) with my zune 8gb. The result is about what greatdane described. Bass is there, but its not too punchy or deep. I haven't really noticed dynamic differences, but I also am usually doing stuff if I'm using my portable player so I probably just don't notice. At high volumes (16+) the treble can get pretty mushy. At 300 ohms a comfortable (1hr+) volume for most rock/pop is 14-16 out of 20, so your battery will drain quicker, but it's still doable. At 250ohms you'd probly be looking at 13-15 max sustainable volume. When I used the earbuds this thing came with I punched it down to about 6, so that will show you the difference.

Listening with the senn's is still an enjoyable experience so I don't hesitate to say you can do it and it end up well, just know the caveats going into it.

Oct 3, 2008 at 1:22 AM Post #5 of 11
I think I may go with some MS-1s for DAP use. The lower impedance makes me feel more safe in my purchase (to be). It seems kind of random, but I have a tendency to listen to more rock/ska/punk than anything else, so bass is important to me, but it won't be the deciding factor.

Do you guys have any other suggestions for good headphones in the $100-200 range?

Oct 3, 2008 at 1:49 AM Post #6 of 11
how portable are you looking for? full size, on ear, in ear?

Oct 3, 2008 at 2:09 AM Post #7 of 11
it will drive them volume wise, but in terms of dynamics and what not, it will absolutely fail, as a DAP as a source is such a terrible terrible idea.

Oct 3, 2008 at 2:09 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxvla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how portable are you looking for? full size, on ear, in ear?

Portability isn't the issue, I already have a pair of IEMs, and I would like to get some real cans.

I have looked into the SR80s, MS-1s, SR125s, and the ES7s. The SR125s and the MS-1s have been at the top of my list so far.

I just would like some really good headphones for the price. I listen to mostly rock/ska/punk, so a headphone that does all three well would be appreciated.

I haven't ruled out closed headphones, so suggestions there would be welcomed.

Sorry if I'm not specific enough, I have broadened my options considerably in the past few days.

Oct 3, 2008 at 2:14 AM Post #9 of 11
I've personally never heard a grado phone, something I will remedy soon.. but the general consensus is grados are great for the styles you list.

Oct 3, 2008 at 5:39 AM Post #10 of 11
i run my 880s off my ipod nano with no difficulty, but the SQ does suffer a bit.

what about going through manufaktur and getting a 32 ohm model?

Oct 3, 2008 at 8:04 AM Post #11 of 11
Looked at M-Audio Q40's..?? They are ment to be good for your music taste's. But i have to say that the MS-1's are awesome for the price and i really do miss my old pair
frown.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tmacfan4321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Portability isn't the issue, I already have a pair of IEMs, and I would like to get some real cans.

I have looked into the SR80s, MS-1s, SR125s, and the ES7s. The SR125s and the MS-1s have been at the top of my list so far.

I just would like some really good headphones for the price. I listen to mostly rock/ska/punk, so a headphone that does all three well would be appreciated.

I haven't ruled out closed headphones, so suggestions there would be welcomed.

Sorry if I'm not specific enough, I have broadened my options considerably in the past few days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back