real porta pro sighting in the U.K.
Jul 23, 2006 at 11:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

astranovus

100+ Head-Fier
i went to my local massive shopping centre called "meadowhall" in the U.K. and a teenager walked passed me with a pair of porta pros attached to his psp,

he has got to be of head-fi, as I have never seen anybody wear a pair of these in public before here in the U.K.

let's face it the cans are not reknowned for their good looks.

Jul 23, 2006 at 11:19 AM Post #3 of 18
Actually, in Sweden, I see at least 3 people a day wearing the Porta Pro's.
I'm not kidding. At my summer job, I've seen 5 or 6 already.

Jul 23, 2006 at 11:19 AM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by juzmister
iv seen quite a few of them around...they sell them in the apple store

in london that may be the case but up north it isn't, i think sheffield has got one of the very few apple shops outside of london

Jul 23, 2006 at 12:12 PM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by astranovus
in london that may be the case but up north it isn't, i think sheffield has got one of the very few apple shops outside of london

They sell them quite a few places. I've seen too many to count in London but I also saw someone wearing a pair when I was up in Manchester. It seems they are pretty common.

Jul 23, 2006 at 1:30 PM Post #8 of 18
In Norway, everyone and their dog has one. Koss is totally dominating the market for portable headphones.

Jul 23, 2006 at 1:32 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobs
In Norway, everyone and their dog has one. Koss is totally dominating the market for portable headphones.

really? they are ugly beyond believe, i'd never wear them,

in any headphone i hate them foamy driver covers, they hurt my ears,

Jul 23, 2006 at 1:38 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobs

I wonder if Norway infected Sweden with it?
280smile.gif

The porta pros are always as hip as iPod here.

Jul 23, 2006 at 8:02 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by syndrome
I wonder if Norway infected Sweden with it?
280smile.gif

The porta pros are always as hip as iPod here.

You see plenty here, but two sightings in particular stick out in my mind. One was at a tram stop. There was a big dude at the opposite tram stop. He had a geeky looking gear bag wearing it across the shoulder... too high. It looked like he was fiddling with knobs, and he made eye contact with me. I was using my portable rig in a timbuk2 metro bag... but he certainly looked like he knew what I was using. He looked like he'd like to ask me about my setup, but Finns are too shy for that.
wink.gif
If you're lurking here at head-fi, speak up!
biggrin.gif
How many girls in Finland are using Sensas? You know it was me!
smily_headphones1.gif

Another guy was at school with the portapros. Not unusual, accept he gave me a look that made it clear he wanted me for what was in my gear bag.
redface.gif
It's just so rare that anyone knows what we're carrying.

Jul 23, 2006 at 9:21 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

i went to my local massive shopping centre called "meadowhall" in the U.K. and a teenager walked passed me with a pair of porta pros attached to his psp,

he has got to be of head-fi, as I have never seen anybody wear a pair of these in public before here in the U.K.

let's face it the cans are not reknowned for their good looks.

where abouts in sheff do you live ? or outside for that matter, i live v.near meadowhall..
lambda.gif

The Apple shop in Meadowhall is a bit pants, not enough range of headphones, mainly because nobody wants £200 headphones to go with there £200 iPod..

Headphones i've seen people wearing:

PX300 on a Train
E2C's & E5C's @ Work

I havent seen no real decent headphones, people in sheff seem to want the cheapest headphones that'll do, and people dont realise that you can actually get DECENT sound from a portable device..
blink.gif

Rock on
orphsmile.gif

Jul 24, 2006 at 8:25 AM Post #14 of 18
The thing that constantly amazes me here in Liverpool is the number of people I see wearing the stock Apple buds. Spending £200 on an iPod and listening to it on a £2 set of phones seems irrational to me, but virtually everyone I see with an iPod does it.

Simon

Jul 24, 2006 at 8:41 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

really? they are ugly beyond believe, i'd never wear them

I think they look ok with their retro look. Its also funny how perception of a product changes by its number of consumers. The Porta Pro is considered uncool by those serious about audio over here, simply because "everyone" has them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back