Real or Fake? - Update on last page, need help
Dec 6, 2011 at 3:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

LizardKing1

Headphoneus Supremus
Before I post another thread asking for help, I usually read previous threads, so I don't come here completely blanked. I'm a regular member of Head-Fi and I kind of know what I'm looking for, I just need your opinion on what would be best. So Christmas is coming, and I want to get my girlfriend a pair of IEMs. She's put up with my Head-Fi mania/addiction for over a year now, and she even (!) listens to me ramble about electrostatics, balanced armatures, measurements, cables, and does a great job at pretending she's interested 
rolleyes.gif
 she's awesome. So the least I could do was get her a decent portable rig.

She takes everyday a bus, a ferry and the subway, so she's in very noisy locations. I checked her musical preferences and it's mainly bass-based electronica (dubstep, drum n' bass), trance and then some pop and Indie Rock. She never had a problem with IEM tips getting a good seal. With all that added, what I would need would be an IEM with decent isolation (not to be a decisive factor) with a strong low-end. The thing is I wanted to avoid giving her an earth-shaking-bass-IEM because if she ever developed a love for Jazz, or focused more on rock than on electronica, she might hate that excessive bass. I consider the Senn CX-300 ii to be excessively bassy and even dark, to give you a reference, so I was looking for something below that in bass quantity. I wanted something with deep 50Hz bass and with some mid-bass impact. If she feels she needs more bass I'll show her how to properly equalize a player. In my opinion mids are really important and in revealing things like vocals it can be a deal breaker if it doesn't perform well. As for treble a good extension and crispness would be great. She once tried my SRH750 and loved them. I know she has a good ear, I once had her take the "128MP3-vs-320MP3" test and the treble extension test and she got it right immediately and had a huge extension (about 17kHz), so she can appreciate good quality. So:

- Bass-oriented IEM with sub-bass and impact
- Good mids, not sounding thing
- Good treble extension and detail
- Below 100$ on Amazon please

So far I was considering the Klipsch S4, but the reviews are a bit mixed. I understand these are very bassy, would you say they are on level with the CX-300 ii? I also read the treble rolled off. Basically they were decent, but for their price they seem good.
Another idea was the Shure SE215. Some say they are bassless, others said they are neutral. I understand there's always a trade-off (good overall quality without much bass quantity), and that these aren't oriented towards bass, but should I even consider them? I mean, EQ can only take you so far. If anyone has tried those and the RE-Zero would you say the bass ammount on the Shures is close to that one?

Thank you in advance!

Dec 6, 2011 at 3:21 PM Post #2 of 29
The S4 are pretty good. Personally I find them good enough for most genres. Sure, they don't really excel at anything, but they're very decent for everything, IMO. I prefer their sound over the RE-262's. Kind of wish someone would trade some funnier IEM to my RE-262's.

I have to say tho, that I am already on my second pair, as my first ones broke without being especially battered in any way. So, the build quality is probably the worst part of S4. But for the price, I think it's a great IEM.

As for the bass on the S4, it's good. Not great, a little boomy, but for a non-audiophile it will certainly fit the bill. The bass goes deep and has a good power to it.

Dec 6, 2011 at 3:37 PM Post #3 of 29
get her phonak's perfect bass

Dec 6, 2011 at 4:00 PM Post #4 of 29
This may be at the top of what you're willing to spend, but the Shure SE215 sounds like what you want for her. dweaver has a pair up for sale for $95 that comes with the iphone cable. $70 with the regular cable. One thing is that the iphone cable adds some treble presence and detail

Dec 6, 2011 at 7:05 PM Post #5 of 29
I'll look into Phonak's, it's a name I see a lot on here (I'm usually more on the O2 thread or the full-size section).
I am tempted by the SE215, but it seems by a lot of reviews to be bass light. It's a balanced armature after all. I know my 2 considerations are very polar (very bassy vs. bassless). 

Dec 6, 2011 at 8:30 PM Post #8 of 29

Quote:
I'll look into Phonak's, it's a name I see a lot on here (I'm usually more on the O2 thread or the full-size section).
I am tempted by the SE215, but it seems by a lot of reviews to be bass light. It's a balanced armature after all. I know my 2 considerations are very polar (very bassy vs. bassless). 

the Phonak's are BA

Dec 6, 2011 at 8:40 PM Post #10 of 29

Quote:
No disrespect, but I was dissapointed with Atrio X

Get her Fischer Audio Silver Bullet, absolutely AWESOME for electronica, and AWESOME sounds, build quality though is average...

Failing that, my second recommendation is MEELec CC51

but hes looking for bass, do the atro x's have less impressive bass than the CC51?

don't get the Silver Bullets, they take months to deliver and end up breaking in a couple more months.

Dec 6, 2011 at 9:04 PM Post #11 of 29
I heard the Shure SE215s are good.

I have Klipsch S4s and I don't think they're too bassy at all. I listen to vocal jazz, alt rock, big band, soul, and I never find the bass intrusive or excessive.

Dec 6, 2011 at 9:40 PM Post #12 of 29
If you can find it I recommend the hje900's. Its bassy enough for EDM and sounds great with guitars. Seen two new in box ones go for less than $100 on the auction site lately.

Dec 6, 2011 at 11:01 PM Post #13 of 29

Quote:
This may be at the top of what you're willing to spend, but the Shure SE215 sounds like what you want for her. dweaver has a pair up for sale for $95 that comes with the iphone cable. $70 with the regular cable. One thing is that the iphone cable adds some treble presence and detail

Link? I need this.

Dec 6, 2011 at 11:24 PM Post #14 of 29

Quote:
but hes looking for bass, do the atro x's have less impressive bass than the CC51?

don't get the Silver Bullets, they take months to deliver and end up breaking in a couple more months.

Atrio X has awesome bass, but extremely recessed mid (much more recessed than CC51), and highs full of sibilance.

Though that was out of the box, I have started mechanical burn in with them and I will edit my recommendation if it improves after burn in

Dec 7, 2011 at 1:28 AM Post #15 of 29
I own some SE215s, but I've only listened to them a couple of times, but imo, SE215 have plenty of bass, it is not lacking at all to me. For the price, they are a pretty good value.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back