Real or a Scam?
Jul 24, 2005 at 12:36 AM Post #2 of 17
I saw this posted on AudioKarma and I don't know what to think.

Jul 24, 2005 at 12:44 AM Post #3 of 17
Okay, it says right out of the Goldmine Record Catelog that almost all promo/not-for-sale copies of LPs are essentially worth no more than their regular counterparts.

They are probably real -- there's no question about that. But don't get sucked into buying these merely because of the "promo" labels. These are not worth anything. You can find a better-conditioned record for a better price, most likely.

The only "promo" LPs that are worth anything more than the regular ones are ones that have specific LP sleeves that say "for promotion use only" or the similar. Otherwise, if the LP-sleeve is the same as any normal sleeve, you are only looking at buying an LP that was most likely made for DJs (that inclues party DJs and radio station DJs). If this is so, they have made millions of copies of these LPs, and the value/rareness of these LPs are insignificant.

EDIT:

WOAH!

2000 bucks or more for these records? Sheesh! I feel very sorry for whoever put that much money up for grabs for these worthless LPs... shame...

Jul 24, 2005 at 1:07 AM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by SptsNaz
I'm speechless...

About what, may I ask?
biggrin.gif

Jul 24, 2005 at 1:10 AM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
Okay, it says right out of the Goldmine Record Catelog that almost all promo/not-for-sale copies of LPs are essentially worth no more than their regular counterparts.

They are probably real -- there's no question about that. But don't get sucked into buying these merely because of the "promo" labels. These are not worth anything. You can find a better-conditioned record for a better price, most likely.

The only "promo" LPs that are worth anything more than the regular ones are ones that have specific LP sleeves that say "for promotion use only" or the similar. Otherwise, if the LP-sleeve is the same as any normal sleeve, you are only looking at buying an LP that was most likely made for DJs (that inclues party DJs and radio station DJs). If this is so, they have made millions of copies of these LPs, and the value/rareness of these LPs are insignificant.

EDIT:

WOAH!

2000 bucks or more for these records? Sheesh! I feel very sorry for whoever put that much money up for grabs for these worthless LPs... shame...

You did see that Beatles "butcher cover", didn't you. That is what they are bidding on.

Jul 24, 2005 at 3:14 AM Post #10 of 17
It's not about "promos." Doesn't anyone know the story of the butcher cover?

Jul 24, 2005 at 3:30 AM Post #11 of 17
This was posted on Audio Karma from Beattles Rarities:

"In mid-1966 Capitol Records put together The Beatles Yesterday And Today album using various singles and songs left off earlier albums (common practice in those days). The photo for the album cover was sent from England (where the album wasn't released). The picture (shown inside) had the group dressed in butcher smocks and holding chunks of bloody meat and decapitated baby dolls. Capitol actually released a number of albums for retail sale with this cover (the amount varies in estimation from 6,000 to 60,000), but public outcry was so negative that some record stores were afraid to stock the album. This led to Capitol scrapping hundreds of thousands of album jackets. The company switched to a different shot of the group in a hotel room with a steamer trunk (see photo inside). This picture was almost used as it appears here, but at the last minute the background was airbrushed to the plain white that has adorned the Yesterday And Today album ever since. The new picture was pasted over a few of the old 'butcher cover' jackets and when the word got out many fans tried peeling or steaming the new cover off so they would have one of the original copies. Meanwhile, the 'butcher cover' became one of the most sought-after prizes for every Beatles collector. So few copies were distributed that many of today's fans had never even seen the famous and controversial picture which is why it is included in Rarities. When the shot was used on the original cover, it was cropped at the knee level. Now for the first time, the entire butcher photo is reproduced."

Questions posted in the auction listing indicate the album is found in 3 states.

1st state = original Butcher cover
2nd state = new cover pasted over old cover
3rd state = new cover steamed \ pealed of exposing the original Butcher cover

Mitch

Jul 24, 2005 at 3:56 PM Post #13 of 17
Since it’s over:

I thought it was a first class scam and nicely done. The seller never misrepresents the item. The buyers questions do all the misrepresenting. The seller chooses which questions are listed so any questions about its authenticity are filtered out.

His statement about it being a $20 auction is a nice touch.

The obvious point is- if it was real it would have sold for much, much more money. If the seller posted the item not realizing what it was there’d be no problem canceling the auction, properly authenticating the album, getting the proper photos and properly re-listing the auction.

With a potential difference of several thousand dollars the statement he won’t cancel the auction since he gave his word is ridiculous.

So a scam and nicely done. If it is a fake the seller has no recourse or right to complain since it was not misrepresented in any way.

Mitch

Jul 26, 2005 at 12:58 AM Post #15 of 17
God Id love to catch up to those guys with a baseball bat in my hands. People like that piss me off to no end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back