real link to edition 8 service manual, or 'is removing these glued on on pads the only way in to recable'?
Sep 17, 2011 at 1:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

qusp

Member of the Trade: Twisted Cables
Hi guys, wow very difficult to find information online about recabling these headphones, or confirmation of proper disassembly. cannot find a real link to the service manual anywhere, if indeed one exists. i have a set of these here for a balanced recable and before i go peeling off what appears to be glued on very expensive earpads that cost a couple hundred to replace and are difficult to obtain, i would like to confirm this is the only way in. from inspection it appears to be, which seems a really odd design choice for such expensive headphones that otherwise look to be very well made.

can anyone help me out here? seems most people are afraid to recable their cans or there would be more (some) info out there. once i get the pads off it should be pretty straight forward and ive taken on much pricier and rare headphones than these, but they generally have a logical and non-destructive way in, just a little concerned about sticking them (the pads) back on properly or stretching the very soft leather pulling them off, as gluing would suggest they intend them to just be replaced, wth? at this price?

ive seen a layered assembly image (video) for the edition 10, does such a thing exist for the edition 8?

thanks for any help.

cheers

Jeremy

Sep 19, 2011 at 2:25 AM Post #3 of 6
thanks very much, yeah saw those, not really helpful, but its been confirmed as true that its really the only way to gain access!!! i have received no response from the messages i sent to ultratim?, nor my emails to the company 'help' contacts. so a headphone that has seemingly been thought long and hard about, that has >200 dollar replacement pads and you cant even take them off the headphone to care for them without risking not being able to put them back on properly, this seems a little suspicious to me, perhaps they just did not think about it, although every other piece seems well thought out.

Oct 5, 2011 at 2:49 PM Post #4 of 6
Where you able to take the pads out?  How easy was it to take out and put back?  

Oct 5, 2011 at 2:56 PM Post #5 of 6
yep, but as i feared they were indeed glued on with an adhesive backing layer. once off its a pretty straight forward recable, but you really have to clean all the glue off and apply new stuff, because removing them weakens the stickiness and one i did had been done before and would not stick back on properly. i cannot fathom this design decision.

Oct 5, 2011 at 3:26 PM Post #6 of 6
Where you able to find a strain relief that looks like stock?  How did you do your strain relief?  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back