Real improvement between Grado SR60i and RS2i?
May 12, 2010 at 11:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

ambush276

Head-Fier
is there really a huge improvement to justify a $70 price tag vs. a $500 price tag?

i mean it might seem like a silly question but i cant find any posts describing why these are so much better? are they?

May 12, 2010 at 11:46 PM Post #2 of 6
Because there's this thing called diminishing returns. To me, the MS-Pros are better than the MS-1s, but worth the 750 dollar difference (in Aus)? Depends, it's subjective.

May 13, 2010 at 1:43 AM Post #4 of 6

Quote:
Resolution is higher, thats the main thing that comes with price. The headphones are able to more accurately reproduce sound, thats about it really.

thats what gets me upgrading

May 13, 2010 at 5:38 AM Post #5 of 6
Grados scale well as you move up the line. Refinement, extension, detail, and instrumental separation all improve with each step. It's my opinion that the SR-225(i) is the best overall value in the Grado line. The difference between the 60 and 225 is not subtle. As you move further up, the differences become smaller. Hence, the diminishing returns on investment.

Will there be an improvement in the RS2(i) over the SR-225(i)? Sure, but that difference will be somewhat less than the difference between the 60(i) and the 225(i). That said, there are many that are more than willing to pay for that. Why? Who's to say all the reasons. But for me, I think I try to get closer to what I believe is perfection. No matter how elusive it really is.

Is the RS2/1(i) really worth the large premium? Only you can decide that. There is a fairly large gap in performance between the two though. At what level you'll be happy with is up to you.

May 13, 2010 at 9:24 AM Post #6 of 6
The immediacy in impact and presentation will vary with the amp you use, while hte instrument separation will vary with the source material and source (it can go vice versa if one of them's not up to the task, like a good DAC with a weak and distorting amp will still lose detail). That said, the RS2 most likely will require you have associated gear upgraded too to make the most out of that price difference, which ultimately means thetotal cash outlay is higher.

And also consider your source material. If most of what you listen to is mostly 1 drum set with one guitar and one bass and one vocalist, which is a bare minimum for modern/current music, chancs are the layering of the music doesn't have much more that can be revealed by more expensive set-ups. On the other hand, Metallica with just one more guitar really does sound better when you get better cans and amplification. Even the decoding part. When I was in high school I didn't get why the sheets were too complex, when the thing is, I just wasn't listening to it right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back