Ready to Splurge..
Jan 27, 2008 at 6:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

En_R

100+ Head-Fier
AAAAH.

After browsing head-fi for awhile I thought I should cut into my wallet once again ^_^

The budget is 800$ and it's purpose is to build a portable rig from scratch...

any recommendations? And those who already have a rig, anyone out there with great DAP+ headphone synergy?

For the DAP I only want sound quality- and that's about it - forget the bells and whistles. Anything above 8GB is fine HDD/Flash doesn't matter

Currently looking at the best :
Kenwood HD60GD9EC (really have my eye on this)
Trekstor Vibez
Sony A818
Creative Zen
Cowon D2

For the headphones I would prefer IEM's -

Currently looking at..
Etymotic ER4 (Apuresound recabled w/ Sensaphonics custom fit)
Shure E500 (or the new SE530 equivalent)
Livewires
Super Freqs. (How are these??)
Westones 3's (399 preordered.. any lower prices?)

not sure if an Imod is worth it ... as I'll also have to buy an dock and possibly an amp from Ray..

Ah . I would love the headphones to be geared towards classical/piano, rock, R&B.

Help me spend my money?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 27, 2008 at 11:45 PM Post #3 of 5
There are actually a lot of fans of each of the headphones and DAPs you listed. You will basically get each member telling you to get a different thing. In the end...it is up to you.

As far as sound quality, I suggest the Iaudio X5...one of the best headphone outs.

I have livewires and I think they are great. I have se530s and I also think they are great...but for different things. Livewires - more clarity, definition, and accuracy. Se530..bass and warmth, and comfort.

So really, you should probably do the research because different head-fiers have different tastes...which is why we all have different rigs...

Jan 28, 2008 at 12:39 AM Post #5 of 5
I find that amps really don't do much for the majority of IEMs. Exceptions might include the Ety ER4-S. For $800, you should definitely consider customs since many universal IEMS are not suited for classical music. ER-4 and Triple.fi 10 are the only ones I'd recommend for universal fit. I use UE-10 pros, but i've heard good things about livewires and superfreqs with regards to classical music.

I find the Ipod works just fine for portable use. Cowon D2 has very good sound quality, but just isn't as easy to use in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back