Ready To Purchase A Supermacro
Feb 23, 2005 at 3:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Big Al

100+ Head-Fier
First off I'm new to all this and I'm not an audiophile, yet. I listen to, rock, classical, pop music, etc...

My hardware, 4G iPod, Senn 590 and AKG 271S. I rip/encode using EAC/LAME using ALT-Preset 192 VBR. I know that these to cans don't need an amp but they sound much better using one IMO, I currently have a PA 2 from Electric Ave. for $60 and I'm hooked. Althought the PA 2 isn't the greatest amp compared to others out there it got my beak wet, without this amp I have to crank my 4G to "40" (which is max.) from the headphone jack. Using a Pocket Dock and the line-out from the 4G brings the sounds out 2-fold but I want more! I don't even know why I'm trying to make this iPod sound like a home system when I know the sound is only good as the source.

Well I'd like to bring it up a notch or two by purchasing a Supermacro. I would have considered a SR-71 but the 71 runs on batteries only and doesn't have the 4 switch control (I like to control) like the SM. I read a few posts regarding what to configure my SM with and Xin recommends from his website:

http://www.fixup.net/products/macro/details.htm

"If you are not so sure but want the best, then get the standard version plus the four feature switches, soldered-on 2x buffers and OPA627. For just $350 total, you have everything - nowhere else to find the kind of sound and features, no matter how much you are willing to pay."

While I have read the 637 is better at power consumption and benchmarks I'm confused as to what to order. Is it a total waste to even purchase a amp of this caliber for these cans?

Feb 23, 2005 at 3:52 PM Post #2 of 10
it's not a waste at all , both the cans you have will benefit a lot of an amp . Even if in the case you're not satisfied with your current cans , I'll probably consider also upgrading cans .
Anyhow once you've got the amp you can roll cans on it , so finding the right personal set (can) when are well juiced from a nice source will be a lot easier to do then if you're hearing them from an unamped portable source

Feb 23, 2005 at 4:06 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

While I have read the 637 is better at power consumption and benchmarks I'm confused as to what to order. Is it a total waste to even purchase a amp of this caliber for these cans?

I use the 627 and find that they offer very fine sound. I have not listened to the 637 but from what I have read the 627 is often prefered.

As stated above, you can always upgrade what you listen with but why not have the best you can in each link. Even if something is somewhat inferior, you may choose to upgrade that part later. The Super Macro offers superior sound.

John

Feb 23, 2005 at 5:43 PM Post #4 of 10
Unless you know that you want something different, you really can't go wrong with the 627s. Do some searches for "opamps" on this board and you'll turn up some more information.

Feb 23, 2005 at 7:52 PM Post #5 of 10
Am I missing anything?

SuperMacro amp black 249.99 249.99
OPA627 soldered on 39.99 39.99
4 feature switches 49.99 49.99
Clear case 0.00 0.00
2x BUF634 soldered on 9.99 9.99

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All prices are in US Dollars Subtotal 349.96
Shipping 4.99
Tax 0.00

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TOTAL 354.95

Feb 23, 2005 at 10:04 PM Post #7 of 10
I just got my Supermacro today and I am totally blown away by the increase in sound quality, they really give some extra life to my headphones (delaying upgradetitus but for how long though?
biggrin.gif
). I still have to figure out a more convinient way to carry it around with my Carbon for the ultimate portability. Right now I am just using the Carbon case with a attached belt clip and a small camera case with a belt loop for the Supermacro. A lil bit bulky but it is a worthy tradeoff. Now I just have to wait for it to fully burn in.
tongue.gif

Feb 23, 2005 at 10:37 PM Post #8 of 10
Just to reply to what labrat said. I'd put the SuperMacro with more punch (with two configurations I've heard), SR71 more depth. Right now prefer the SM 227 w/switches (bass boost always on, everything else off) with A900s more. SR71 with HD650s significantly more. I think what fr4c said best describes it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fr4c
IMO, the SR-71 is warm and rich sounding, like a cup of hot Geneva chocolate. the Supermacro on the other hand is crisp and punchy, like a cold 20 oz. bottle of coke on a summer day.

Feb 23, 2005 at 11:00 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Al
First off I'm new to all this and I'm not an audiophile, yet. I listen to, rock, classical, pop music, etc...

GET THE 227 version first. It sounds so sweet, emotional for a better price.
Then you can buy OPA627 and just roll the opamp yourself if you are not happy with 227. You may even prefer 227 than 627.

Feb 23, 2005 at 11:04 PM Post #10 of 10
Done it! I won't spend another dime on my iPod, promise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back