ready to get a cheap home rig built. need cdP help
Jan 10, 2008 at 6:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

battleMAUS

Head-Fier
hello all, i'm just about ready to build a home setup for myself. right now i want to locate a decent cdp for my source. something lowend - mid range. im on a very tight budget (school text purchases!), so keep it cheap. shower me with your suggestions, it's all greatly appreciated.

Jan 10, 2008 at 9:45 AM Post #3 of 16
whaaatttt. $1K? i said i was a college student. i'm setting the budget at $500, but im willing to go slightly higher if it's worth it.

Jan 10, 2008 at 5:48 PM Post #4 of 16
Well the top-rated <$500 CDPs are the Marantz CD-5001 and NAD C525BEE (an update to the previously successful C521BEE). The Onkyo DX-7555 has also gotten a fair share of positive reviews and is under $500. I don't think you could go wrong with any of those. Do your research though, and audition if possible.

B&H Photo/Video sells the Onkyo, if you live close to Manhattan then an audition from their store might be feasible.
wink.gif

Jan 10, 2008 at 8:38 PM Post #5 of 16
hey thanks for the quick reply. i live really close to the city (about 50min ride). so i'll definitely stop by to audition the Onkyo when i get some free time.

Jan 10, 2008 at 10:02 PM Post #7 of 16
Definitely do your research, there are some excellent cdps to be had for under $500 (NAD,Rega (planet 2000),etc...), whether new or 'used'. Check audiogon for some options, as a matter of fact I am considernig selling one of my players (NAD C542) it's in the FS forum.

Also, please don't confuse price with the term 'low-end' regarding sound quality, many people confuse price with quality and that's definitely not the case. High\mid\low end is relative, what matters is how it sounds to your ears.

What type of sound are you after? Warm tubey, detailed?

Jan 12, 2008 at 1:48 PM Post #10 of 16
I have two recommendations.

(1) Marantz CD-5001 for ~$300 street price. Very good sound for the money, has a digital out for future upgrade (with an external DAC to use the CDP as a transport), and has a very capable built-in headphone amp (that is not as good as a standalone amp, but still good in its own right). The Marantz has a slightly warm sound to my ears.

(2) Cambridge Audio 540C/640C v2 for ~$500 (depending on which one) street price. Very nice DAC section in this price range, more neutral "hi-fi" presentation than the Marantz, very nice chassis with solid build, excellent remote.

Of course there are others, these are just two that I have had experience with.

Jan 12, 2008 at 2:09 PM Post #11 of 16
I'll second asr on the Onkyo 7555; I have one and it's very good.

Jan 13, 2008 at 4:33 PM Post #12 of 16
i thought this thread died early. im going to have to do more research than i had planned, thanks for the advice guys!

Quote:

Originally Posted by riffer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why not use your computer with a good USB DAC?

1. my computer sounds like a airplane jet
2. im scared of my dvd drive scratching my cds
3. i'd like a separate music listening area with a nice lazy chair and my collection displayed on shelfs
4. also i did post this in the "dedicated" source forum section, i believe if i wanted to use my computer i would have posted in the "computer as source" section

Jan 13, 2008 at 10:16 PM Post #13 of 16
A couple months back I was searching around for a cdp in the same price range. All the above names came up a bunch, and are probably your best bet.
I found this site. They have some refurbished NAD and also check their used/demo section, I was very close to buying a vintage Rotel CDP until decided on a DAC.
I haven't dealt with them, just thought I'd pass on what I saw.

Jan 13, 2008 at 11:00 PM Post #14 of 16
Well,

Those NAD and Marantz models are stellar choices.
I'd advice you to have a look at the Denon DCD-500/DCD-700. Those are very good CD players imho. I think the DCD-700 sounds better then the Marantz CD5001.

greetz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back