Ready to Buy
Jan 30, 2006 at 4:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

vpivinylspinner

1000+ Head-Fier
Hello, everyone. I have been lurking for a week after I decided I need a headphone setup for after-hours listening. I purchased Beyerdynamic DT-880s here in town at B&H and am going to buy an amp now. The sources they will be used with consist of:

VPI Scoutmaster/Acoustech PH1 Premium Analog setup
Nakamichi 680zx Cassette Decks
APS Modified Kenwood L-07t Tuner
Yamaha T-85 Tuner
Mitsubishi DA-F20 Tuner
Teac X-7R Reel to Reel

I am leaning heavily to the Corda Aria as it looks like a great set and forget package that will work for the DT-880s. Is there any reason that this amp will not work well with the DT-880? It will probably be run via RCA from preamp outputs from either a Kenwood L-07C preamp or Yamaha C-85 Preamp.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Jeff

Feb 9, 2006 at 8:29 PM Post #2 of 12
I have the same cans and I want an amp too. Hopefully, less than $250 US. It will be stationary and mainly playing my vinyl from the '80's.

I think the impendance of the DT-880s is 250.

Feb 9, 2006 at 8:56 PM Post #3 of 12
Yeah, I was wondering if I did something wrong. My Corda Aria is on its way to me now and I expect to have it within the next few business days. I will let you know how it sounds in the context of my system.

Jeff

Feb 14, 2006 at 2:21 AM Post #4 of 12
I got the Aria today. I am running it via some extra Nordost Quatro-fil reference RCA cables from the tape out of my preamp. With my Beyerdynamic DT-880s I have to turn the volume up to about to about 2 o'clock to get any dynamics. The sound is okay but I am hoping it gets a lot better with burn in as I can't really perceive alot of difference between this amp and the headphone jack of my preamp. The amp itself is absolutely gorgeous and built like a tank.

Feb 14, 2006 at 2:31 AM Post #5 of 12
I don't think as many people in this forum have Beyer's much less DT-880's as compared to the number of Senn users.

I guess this is a private though public thread. No one else seems to be able to read it.

Keep me posted. What does it take about 100 hours to burn in.

Feb 14, 2006 at 4:52 AM Post #6 of 12
I hope you end up liking the DT880 with analog gear. Honestly, they wouldn't be my first choice due to being a bit analytical in the treble, and IMO the typical recommendation for a very warm amp (think tubes) would be well-heeded. You should avoid anything that emphasizes treble, in any way, unless you want to hear hiss, clicks, pops and other issues that can be problematic with analog emphasized to an unpleasant degree.

Feb 14, 2006 at 11:19 AM Post #7 of 12
With proper cleaning and a decent turntable I have no hiss, pops or clicks. Unless the record is damaged I get no noise above the tape hiss from the original recording. I actually like the DT-880 headphones quite a bit compared to the Grado SR-60s I use at my office. I have a Naim CD Player as well that I am using to burn in the new Aria. I just don't listen to it very often.

Feb 14, 2006 at 11:22 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by vpivinylspinner
With proper cleaning and a decent turntable I have no hiss, pops or clicks. Unless the record is damaged I get no noise above the tape hiss from the original recording.

I'd think those cassette players could present issues. IMO even tape hiss is emphasized a little bit with DT880s, which wouldn't be what I'd want to do myself... but maybe you don't/won't find it to be a problem.

Quote:

I actually like the DT-880 headphones quite a bit compared to the Grado SR-60s I use at my office. I have a Naim CD Player as well that I am using to burn in the new Aria. I just don't listen to it very often.

Glad to hear you're enjoying them... definitely an improvement over the SR-60. So you did pick up the Aria after all then?

Edit -- doh, guess I didn't read your other replies...
tongue.gif

Feb 14, 2006 at 11:31 AM Post #9 of 12
Yeah cassette decks could be problematic. The two Nakamichi decks I am using are the quietest I have heard but they are still a bit noiser than a good CD. The reel-to-reel has very little background noise but never the black background I get with my Vinyl. My main concern for the amp is that I have to turn it up over the 12 o'clock position to get a decent amount of dynamics and lose the "veil" that I am hearing at lower volumes. This could go away with burn in I assume.

Feb 14, 2006 at 11:34 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by vpivinylspinner
My main concern for the amp is that I have to turn it up over the 12 o'clock position to get a decent amount of dynamics and lose the "veil" that I am hearing at lower volumes. This could go away with burn in I assume.

It could, although I think the DT880 is one of those headphones that just likes a higher volume level... similarly to Senn HD580/600, in my experience.

Feb 14, 2006 at 11:44 AM Post #11 of 12
The DT880 should match up very well with a Corda Aria. I don't own an Aria, but have had the opportunity to try a demo.

I think there are a lot of Beyer owners here, and many who use the DT880. Recently, fewtch's posts about the DT880 seem equivalent to 10 people's.
evil_smiley.gif

There's a great Beyer thread called "Beyerdynamic owners unite" or somesuch.

Please let us know more about your experience.

Feb 14, 2006 at 11:54 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas
I think there are a lot of Beyer owners here, and many who use the DT880. Recently, fewtch's posts about the DT880 seem equivalent to 10 people's.
evil_smiley.gif

LOL... if it was in response to JayGee's bashing, it probably needed to be strongly worded to counteract his (her?) nonsense.

I do get a bit defensive about the DT880s, but I don't claim they're the world's best headphone (like some well known fanboys of other models around here).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back