Ready for my first HeadAmp (for HD580, AKG702)
Dec 6, 2011 at 1:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

malthis

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone.
For a long time I used Senns HD580 on my Marantz receiver (yes, I know).  Always sounded a bit muddy.  This year I got AKG702, which matched much better, but I wanted more.  Got a matrix mini-i for my PC, and found out the HD580 actually sound brilliant, though mini-i doesn't drive the AKG702 as well as the Marantz.

Going from the mini-i (preferably) as a DAC, I'm looking for an amp that will give even more resolution to the HD580 and more omph to the AKG702.  I haven't ruled out tubing, but i'm partial to fast attack and decay and want less coloration.  

Thought about matrix m-stage, but might as well go Matrix Quattro for balanced (more power for AKGs).  What's keeping me from taking that plunge is the scarcity of reviews or comments about this amp.  Any input or links on it?  

I'm particularly interested in how it would stand up to the Burson HA-160.  I've heard great things about this one, but it's not balanced, and i've heard some people say it's not even as well matched as the m-stage for the AKGs.  

Maverick A1 is a possibility.  I'd like to hear other options too.  The Burson is probably as high end as I can go.  Hope you guys can help.

Dec 9, 2011 at 3:05 PM Post #3 of 6
M-Stage and K702 are sure a great match i really enjoyed this combinaison (using OPA Moon on m-stage ) currently using an audio GD C2.1 , it's even better . Matrix Quattro balanced Amp ==> need for a Balanced DAC too , many says that balanced Q/K70X work well , but AKG's are not soo power hungry they are just picky about the amp , balancing can help sure but synergie beewteen amp and the k702 is most important than balanced or not . 

And synergie is also a matter of personal tastes . 

Dec 9, 2011 at 5:14 PM Post #4 of 6
WooAudio WA6 sounds amazing with my HD580 :)

Dec 10, 2011 at 4:17 PM Post #5 of 6
Mini-i is a balanced DAC, which really teases me to go that direction for the HD580. Right now liking the Senns much more anyway. But I want to give the AKG702 some love too. I thought the Matric Quattro would be a good idea, but can't get any info on it. People rave over the matrix m-stage, but hardly a peep for a balanced matrix?

@ airs. I'm curious about the WooAudio WA6, even though it's over my budget. I would have thought the tube would have darkened the already mellow HD580. In that case perhaps I should be looking at a Schiit Lyr?

Main question then, should I shoot for balanced for the sake of HD580 (maybe HD600 upgrade later) or go for sheer quality/power with a Burson, Woo, or Schiit?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back