RE2 or PK2
Jul 29, 2008 at 10:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

feelindivine

New Head-Fier
Which one is better? Yuin PK2 or Head-Direct RE2? (unamped.)Isolation is not an issue and also i like analytical sound with recognizable bass. Not boomy but recognizable.

Jul 29, 2008 at 3:06 PM Post #2 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by feelindivine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which one is better? Yuin PK2 or Head-Direct RE2? (unamped.)Isolation is not an issue and also i like analytical sound with recognizable bass. Not boomy but recognizable.

I've got both. I prefer the PK2, although I still have been using the RE2's quite a bit. PK2 has a fuller, airier sound, closer to full-sized headphones.
RE2 is more analytical, but you'd probably find the PK2 detailed enough. RE2 bass might be a little more "precise" but there's a lot less of it.

Jul 30, 2008 at 1:00 PM Post #4 of 8
I owned both the PK3 and the RE2 (my daughter still has the RE2), and I think from a use POV the RE2 is a better choice, mainly because the PK ear buds could be a little large for most ears, and they tend to loosen up very easily if you are on the go. Plus, they do suffer from a significant amount of outside noise. I don't think the PK lineup is inferior SQ-wise, just from a functionality POV.

Having said that, I listened to the RE2s the other night, with a FiiO amp and my daughter's iPod (testing it, since it fell in the sand), and with the right tips and amped, the RE2s really do sound good. I put some Comply T400s on them, for a better seal than I get with the silicone single or bi-flanges (either size). Anyway, that adds cost and convenience too, as the FiiO amp is $8.50 (not much, a great ebay value) and the Comply tips are $20 for 5 pair.

Not sure this helps, but from a pure sound perspective, unamped, the PK2s are your best bet. But from a portability POV, the RE2s might be best.

Also, you could consider the Denon 551s, which are a little less money, but sound pretty good. They are canalphones, like the RE2s.

For more on the FiiO, http://www.anythingbutipod.com/archi...ini-review.php

Jul 30, 2008 at 1:41 PM Post #5 of 8
Denon C551 is better? I heard that RE2 is quality/performance leader. A lot of people think that RE2 is better than Westone UM1. Also i think PK2 is the leader of earbuds. (unamped) Isolation is not important for me. But i want realistic sound. I can't decide which one to buy.

Jul 30, 2008 at 3:37 PM Post #6 of 8
I am not bashing the RE2, but I think it requires an amp like the FiiO (or a major ES bass boost) to sound good, and the stock sleeves did not do it for me. I only mentioned the Denons because they are $30 cheaper than the RE2s, and might be your solution.

However, if iso is not an issue (or falling out of your ears when walking is not either), then get the PK2s. I am at the beach, and tried walking with the OK3s (similar to PKs), and they keep needing to be reinserted for best sound. Not the case with Sony EX082s or other canalphones, like the RE2s.

If that's not a problem, get the PKs. Both the PKs and the RE2s, in my view, are a little weak on the bass end, but provide great sparkle and mids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back