RE2 Microphonic effects
Dec 12, 2009 at 7:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

rudyzhou2

100+ Head-Fier
Planning on buying either the RE0 or RE2, i ve read a few reviews on RE2, and they mention microphonic effects are very disturbing... does any own a pair of RE2 and can tell me more abt the microphonic effects from the cord? I personally do not like to use shirt clip...

How does it compare to Soundmagic PL50s or PL20s?

Dec 13, 2009 at 1:52 AM Post #2 of 3
I used to have the re2 but now I have the re0. At first the microphonic for both are bad but after I try wear them behind my ears(with the shirt clip), the microphonic drop a lot. It has not been a problem ever since.

Dec 27, 2009 at 6:25 PM Post #3 of 3
I have a pair of RE2's and while it's possible to get used to it while listening, I found the microphonic effect incredibly irritating in a quiet environment or between tracks.

The problem is that any movement of the cable near the ears, particularly against the casing or the neck, appears to be transmitted directly along the stiff plastic to the diaphragm - tapping anywhere above the Y-connector produces an equivalent sound to tapping hard on the casing, and any movement of the rest of the cable will have those wires moving against your neck/clothing incessantly. Put pressure on the cables so that they don't vibrate freely, and any vibration below that point no longer reaches your ears

Fortunately, I found a workaround that works for my ears. If you put them in normally (with the wire pointing downwards), and curl the wire around back behind your ears, then over and around to your source, microphonics are completely eliminated. The cable's connection to the earbud is immobilized, and that fixes things. There's not quite enough wire above the Y connector to make this stylish or 100% comfortable, but enough to make it workable hanging at about your shirt's neckline and occasionally in contact with your jaw/neck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back