RE0's for Hip Hop?
Jun 25, 2011 at 5:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Sonota

New Head-Fier
I've searched for days, and have been trying to come to a conclusion.  I listen to mostly hiphop/rap/lupe fiasco-esque music.  And I wanted to know about the durability and whether or not these will be worth the low-budg money.  If not, any other suggestions in the sub $100 range?  Help a newbie out Head-fi!

Jun 25, 2011 at 7:32 PM Post #2 of 12
while re0s are excellent, stay away from any type of iem whose reproduction of bass is that of a stick on a tin can. aka re0s. I listen to quite a bit of hip hop/rap as well and iems with low bass quantity just ruins most of the songs. I find that dynamic IEMs with a slightly thicker sound to be much better suited for the genre. I can't really recommend anything specific in the $100 range but I can advise you to stay away from any iem which can be deemed as thin sounding, very low bass quantity, or analytical in sound signature and look into dynamic driver based iems. While those are excellent for many genres, rap and hip hop music are just not one of them.

Jun 25, 2011 at 7:45 PM Post #4 of 12
I was in the same boat sonata. Lupes my favorite rapper (pre-lasers, hopefully f and l 2) and wanted some phones to see what sounded nice. Its all about your preferred sound signature. You want bass, I reccomend the se215s. Good ass build quality and excellent bass. Crisp clear phones, ety hf5s or re-Zeros.

It took me buying and returning a bunch of highly acclaimed headphones (ibeats, klipsch s4s, re0s, shire se215s, re-zeros) before I ended up staying with the ety hf5s. Clarity is crisp and mids/highs excellent. "Hurt me soul" sounds godly with these phones on.

I didn't like bassy sound signatures because they are.fatiguing over time and sometimes overpower the music.

I woulda chosen the re-zeros oor re0s for hip hop, but build quality was suspect as well as customer service claims.

Hope this helps. Figure out your sound sign first and foremost to save you time.

Sent from my I897 using Tapatalk

Jun 25, 2011 at 7:47 PM Post #5 of 12
check anything out from meelectronics. I primarily listen to rap/hip hop and dubstep etc where bass is key. Although lupe-esque hip hop doesnt have heavy basslines, solid bass is still key. I just got the m6s and they sound great with hip hop, but are a PAIN IN THE ARSE to get fitted correctly. Ultimate Ears have a hip hop oriented sound in the <100$ models, ie the 220 and metro-fi series. I havent heard anything <100 that sounds better with hip hop than the MEE series, and significantly less than that budget. 

Jun 25, 2011 at 7:47 PM Post #6 of 12
i am not really familiar with those so i cant say. but if you can stretch your budget a little beyond 100 look into panasonic hje900. they used to be like ~100 but I tihnk you can still get a second hand one at that price at the for sale forum if you don't mind used stuffs. the built quality is one of the best if not the best for an iem and the cable is replaceable. 

Jun 25, 2011 at 8:31 PM Post #7 of 12

Quote:
I really like clear, quality sound.  Would the Brainwavz 2 work?  I would get the M3s, but the bar looks uncomfortable.

The bars are not uncomfortable.  They fit perfectly in your ear worn down.  It is a little harder to get a seal over the ear though.

Jun 26, 2011 at 11:30 AM Post #9 of 12

Quote:
The bars are not uncomfortable.  They fit perfectly in your ear worn down.  It is a little harder to get a seal over the ear though.

Quote:
yeah the m3s are really comfortable both up and down for me. I highly recommend them over everything else that has been mentioned in this thread so far.

That's good to hear, but is it worth the extra $30 for the M3's vs the M2's?  All of the reviews I've read seem to say that the details and sound quality have been improved "minorly" improved and adjusted, but they aren't don't have much bang for buck when comparing it to the M2's.

Jun 26, 2011 at 1:28 PM Post #10 of 12
Yes, the M3s are better than the M2s...how much better is up to each individuals ears.  I found them to be worth the extra money.

Buy from Amazon...you can always return them if you don't like them.

Jun 26, 2011 at 1:52 PM Post #11 of 12

Quote:
Yes, the M3s are better than the M2s...how much better is up to each individuals ears.  I found them to be worth the extra money.

Buy from Amazon...you can always return them if you don't like them.

Alright, I'll start out with the M2's.  If anything, I'd rather step up than step down, and I feel like the M2's would do fine for my fitting for now.  I don't plan on keeping these for than around a year (at max), so I'd rather save that extra money to expand my next budget.  

But, if someone would like to comment (if you own the M2's, or better yet, have owned both), on the treble of the M2's and how well that performs.  Most of the hip-hop/rap music I listen to has quite a lot of treble (e.g. These Girls - Childish Gambino), and I wanted that to sound, well what you guys would call "good."

Jun 26, 2011 at 7:18 PM Post #12 of 12
Thanks for the tip, I'll stay away from the RE0

Quote:
while re0s are excellent, stay away from any type of iem whose reproduction of bass is that of a stick on a tin can. aka re0s. I listen to quite a bit of hip hop/rap as well and iems with low bass quantity just ruins most of the songs. I find that dynamic IEMs with a slightly thicker sound to be much better suited for the genre. I can't really recommend anything specific in the $100 range but I can advise you to stay away from any iem which can be deemed as thin sounding, very low bass quantity, or analytical in sound signature and look into dynamic driver based iems. While those are excellent for many genres, rap and hip hop music are just not one of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back