RE0 vs Turbine: better bass -- anything else?
Aug 26, 2009 at 5:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

kmhaynes

Headphoneus Supremus
I've had the RE0 for about a month now, and while they are very accurate and cleanly articulate, I agree with most everyone's main criticism of them, that the bass response is pretty light.

I have the opportunity to get a Monster Turbine, almost completely new, used only about 5-10 hours, everything as new. I know the bass response would be better with the Turbines, but if anyone has tried both the these IEMs, I'd appreciate any replies about anything I'd lose going from the RE0 to the Turbines.

Is the Turbine better than the RE0 in some/many/all aspects? Thanks.

Aug 26, 2009 at 6:47 PM Post #2 of 6
I am still burning in my RE0, so I can't tell you how exactly it compares with Turbine.
But RE0 has lower sensitivity than Turbine, which means that you are less likely to hear hiss from your DAP or Amp with RE0. Seeing that you are using E5, you'll probably need to use an attenuator with Turbine in order to suppress the hiss.
When not wearing them over the ears, RE0 has more microphonics than Turbine. For me, it's a little more awkward to loop RE0's cable over the ears because it has a stiffer short stem (strain relief?) than Turbine. So I actually have the RE0's cable point down, then loop up; whereas I can have Turbine angled pointing up and loop around my ears.
Also, for me, I think the Turbine's domed ear tips seal better than any of RE0's. But I ended up using Comply T-400 for both anyway....

Aug 26, 2009 at 6:54 PM Post #4 of 6
I recently sold my Turbines and have the REO's. You will loose out on detail and instrument separation. The Turbines will will have more bass quantity (not quality) and has a better soundstage.

Aug 26, 2009 at 7:25 PM Post #5 of 6
Thanks for the input, folks. That's exactly what I wanted to know. I don't want to give up the accuracy of the RE0, and I find that I can EQ in just a hair of bass to satisfy the balance I like. And since I use the RE0 with several sources (computer, home stereo, etc), it is only when listening in low-volume settings that the bass seems too thin. Moderate volume levels usually give me sufficient bass response.

Aug 27, 2009 at 11:38 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by kmhaynes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the input, folks. That's exactly what I wanted to know. I don't want to give up the accuracy of the RE0, and I find that I can EQ in just a hair of bass to satisfy the balance I like. And since I use the RE0 with several sources (computer, home stereo, etc), it is only when listening in low-volume settings that the bass seems too thin. Moderate volume levels usually give me sufficient bass response.

get a bass boosting amp then, a little fiio works wonders

Users who are viewing this thread

Back