RE0 user looking for something new!
Aug 25, 2011 at 9:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Sephael

Head-Fier
Hi there lads/ladies,

I (used  to) be a very happy owner of RE0 IEMs. I bought my first pair around 1.5 year ago. Almost exactly one year after having bought the IEM, one of the headphones stopped working... Seeing as they still were under warranty, Ive replaced them and got a new set (kudos to Head-Direct!). Sadly, the new pair has just broken down, after roughly 4 months :frowning2: It's sad, but inevitable i suppose.

Seeing as it's no longer under warranty (the warranty doesn't get extended if i replace the headphones right? It's still 1 year since the purchase, isnt it?), I've decided to pick a different set of IEMs (or other headphones, depends on what's available).

tl;dr I'm in the market to buy new IEMs after my RE0 broke down.

Soo, what I liked about the RE0:
- clean vocals
- great midrange
- decent highs
- natural, almost transparent sound

What I didnt like:
- almost non-existant bass
- kind of small soundstage

So basically I'd like to get a new pair of IEMs that sound like RE0 but have bass. I haven't been on the market for the past 1.5 year so I have no idea which headphones took RE0's place as the best bang for the buck :)

Also, if it's possible I'd love to hear some recommendations regarding regular size/portable headphones as well (not earbuds though!), seeing as I'm not required to use IEMs anymore!

Aug 25, 2011 at 10:16 AM Post #2 of 16
RE-ZERO, HF5, RE262 and DBA-02.

Aug 25, 2011 at 2:57 PM Post #4 of 16

Quote:
     GET THE
SONY'S EX600'S
   !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hahaha, this guy LOVES his EX600s. 

I'm still trying my EX600s out, and they're far from being burned-in, but I'm not sure they're as transparent as the RE0s. That's not to say they arent detailed though. They definitely are, just not as 'natural' as the re0s; more edgy you could say. 

Give me a few days, and I'll give my opinion on whether they're better than the RE0s. I just can't say quite yet...

As far as you other question, I'm still pretty sure the Grado SR60s would be considered best bang for buck full size. 

Aug 25, 2011 at 3:04 PM Post #5 of 16
The GR07 and Brainwavz M3 fit in perfectly here if one of the main complaints of the RE0 is the lack of bass.  

And dude with the red gigantic text...chill out.  That's ridiculous.  We're not on the slickdeals.net forums here.  Simmer down.

Aug 25, 2011 at 4:33 PM Post #9 of 16
What is your budget? If you can afford it and don't mind below average isolation, I highly recommend JVC FX700. They are a very decent upgrade over RE0 in some ways and the bass quantity is huge without any loss of quality, which you should love. If you want something with isolation, then Westone 4 is a really solid choice in the price range of the FX700 as well. It also has very nice solid, deep bass and a wonderful soundstage. I think FX700 is more natural sounding with real instruments, while Westone 4 sounds better with electronic music, but if you really need good isolation the Westone 4 can also handle all music genres just fine.

Aug 25, 2011 at 5:09 PM Post #10 of 16

Quote:
It was not to insult his intelligence in any way. I just find it annoying when members attempt to mod the forums over nothing.

yes I agree, whats up with everyone being a moderator, now that's ridiculous, making comments about peoples opinions and points of view! really now, whad up wid dat! and its not even On Topic?

Quote:
The GR07 and Brainwavz M3 fit in perfectly here if one of the main complaints of the RE0 is the lack of bass.  

And dude with the red gigantic text...chill out.  That's ridiculous.  We're not on the slickdeals.net forums here.  Simmer down.

what a non contributing comment? thats a first, lol

and I was chilled out, but whatever! whats your ridiculous is my expression, and since you asked, heres some more expression for you not to enjoy I guess, - any BIG RED, but in my defense, I thought the BIG RED was concise though

and now back to our regular scheduled programming, or contributing content, lol, sorry about any and all of this Sephael

as to the 600's it's worth it! but has some +'s and -'s to consider? here's some of my .02 worth,  

I've appreciated, progressed, processed, and graduated to and thru ONLY three IEM's! and luved them all, and they are these!  

the TF10's>RE262's>EX600's and in that order,

and here is what Sephael is looking for, and I think the 600's are the best of what two IEM's have to offer, in what Saphael is wanting?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Soo, what I liked about the RE0:
- clean vocals
- great midrange
- decent highs
- natural, almost transparent sound

What I didnt like:
- almost non-existant bass
- kind of small soundstage

So basically I'd like to get a new pair of IEMs that sound like RE0 but have bass. I haven't been on the market for the past 1.5 year so I have no idea which headphones took RE0's place as the best bang for the buck  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

the 600's are like RE262's on steroids!

so get ready to be EXed, I think Ashton Kutcher might secretly be working at Sony! lol, 

and the following is my reason for the BIG RED! lol

the Tf10's have great bass, a nice soundstage, and are very fun sounding, but compared to the 262's I can hear how muddy the Tf10's wind up sounding, after I heard the 262's, I knew instantly that I would never again enjoy the TF10's like I originally had,

now to be fair with the TF10's, the Voyager amp that I use is reviewed as to not to do well with BA's, and after giving a listening to the 262's I think I now first hand found out just what the reviewers where talking about, and so because of the Voyager I never got a chance to hear just what the TF10's can really offer?  I tried to get the Arrow to hear first hand what the TF10's could do, but I got ripped off by quonad the gonad, lol? and scrapped that idea, and so now short on funds, tading was the option to figuring out my audio dilema? and so I traded out the BA's, for some DDM's, the 600'2s that is, rather than trying to pick up a different amp, and haven't looked back 

for what its worth, my 262's had an issue with the rt. side going out, WHA!! but Head-Direct is awesome!! and even though I bought them from a fellow Head-Fier, they replaced then with a newer unbalanced version, ka-sweet! and so while I waited for my replacements, I wore my now not so enjoyable TF10's, all the while I was wearing them I was wanting to be listening to those wonderful 262's!!

now the 262's don't have the bass of the 10's but the awesome detail, and the smooth mids, both of which the TF10's don't have in abundance like the 262's, really made them out shine the TF10's, and with the Voyager it gave me all the bass that I fell in love with on the TF10's, but tight punchy and very detailed, all of which gives the 262's a nice, airy, and more open soundstage over the TF10's

so when an opportunity came up to trade my TF10's, for a pair of the european  EX600's, I jumped on board,

and so the same thing happened to the 262's when I heard the 600's, as did with the TF10's when I heard the 262's? comapratively speaking,  

but the compared to the crowned champion, the EX600's, the 262's wind up sounding dry? which probably is a result of the 150 ohm imp. driving level of the 262's, the 600's seem to drive just ssooo effortlessly, in achieving what sound that they can produce!! which would make angels cry with joy! and so with the 600's I wind up having the best of both worlds from the TF10's and the 262's, a very very awesome deep and extended low end!! very punchy and detailed!!! very very nice mids and highs, and the 600's wind up having a COMBINED soundstage of both the  TF10's and the 262's COMBINED!!!!!! very open and airy spacious,
it has me looking around to see whats coming from where!! what the heck was that, oh that came from my 600's, lol! it also has ALOT of instrument seperation and detail, but its a little work to get them to that point? unlike the 262's, all you have to do is burn in the drivers and then whalla, sit back and be ENGAGED! but with the 600's you have to tame the harsh and sibilant mids? and deal with the fit which wasn't a problem for me, I use the modded large bi flanges from my 262's, awesome they are, and there's somewhat of a wind issue, I don't notice it at all, and I'm outside 95% of my listening time! but I listen to them JAMMING style, loud and proud! whistling ALL the time while doing so, and then with the ZO thrown into the mix, HOLY SHIRTS Batcan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think I'm going to super glue these to my ears, lol, I'm in luve with the sound coming out of my rig, but then I'm blood type BH, hahahahahahaha!

and a BIG RED plus is the remmoveable cable, so no more SOL, when it comes to the cable, I take that for granted, being spoiled with the removable cable with the TF10's, got lucky with the 262's though!

I found the process of graduating into what I now have and very very much appreciate, to a certain degree comes from having had and heard the other 2, of which if I never had and heard the TF10's or the RE262's, I might not really know that the EX600's, what I have to listen to at this point in time? are as awesome as they are? but every journey starts with a single step, or in this case a single purchase! but whatever you wind up getting will be awesome, one thing for cerain is you came to the right place to learn about it ALL, Head-Fi is the BESTEST!!! and the folks here although we can tend to butt heads, lol, we're just keeping each other in check
wink_face.gif
, and sometimes we need to be reminded that were only ordinary, average, everday kind of people, that listen to supreme music, and not supreme people that listen to supreme music! although I have to admit that once in a while when I'm jamming away, and noones around to see, I sometimes do feel invincible like I was superman, but without the x-ray vision, and in finding out the hard way, none of the flying parts either, ouch I fell down again, lol, oh yea, and also all there experience and info is PRICELESS!

Aug 25, 2011 at 5:53 PM Post #11 of 16
I owned RE0 and nothing I have tried gives me the same experience and adds more. They just give other experiences. The Xcape v1 is perhaps the best choice if you accept only more bass and want as much of the RE0.
My favorite current IEMs are RE262 and IE8. IE8 for bass, I have it right in the middle and while all the rest is clearly outmatched in quality by the bass, it's amazing if you have a song with some bass that you would like to have it taken to the next level.
The RE262 has superior isolation and mixed male and female voices are so amazing. Soundstage is also done very well and it has more detail.
I also have DDMs but since the cable broke I am getting it remolded. I really liked them, bass was very good but not at the level of IE8, mids were good as well but not at the level of RE262 and highs were also very good but not at the level of RE0. The fit is awkward and isolation is not good, but it provides a good package with average soundstage.
My advice would be to try and get a Xcape v1. I'm currently looking for a RE0 or Xcape v1 myself because I really miss my RE0 and I own a RE-ZERO (trying to trade/sell).

Aug 25, 2011 at 6:56 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

I don't think Triple.fi has a very good midrange. Also, it doesn't sound very natural overall IMO. It is not very coherent sound - the bass sometimes intrudes into the lower mids and the result is a somewhat muddy sound. The upper mids are recessed and lack presence. The highs are excellent, but the mids and bass just aren't very good with this IEM in my opinion. For a multi driver, Westone 4 is a much, much better choice IMO.

Aug 25, 2011 at 9:38 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

heaven sakes no, sounds muddy compared to the 262's and even more so next to theEX600's, but what if you took!~~~~

Quote:

I don't think Triple.fi has a very good midrange. Also, it doesn't sound very natural overall IMO. It is not very coherent sound - the bass sometimes intrudes into the lower mids and the result is a somewhat muddy sound. The upper mids are recessed and lack presence. The highs are excellent, but the mids and bass just aren't very good with this IEM in my opinion. For a multi driver, Westone 4 is a much, much better choice IMO.

~~~and crossed the fun bass, and larger soundsatge, of the TF10, but without the recessed mids and the muddiness of the bass, and croosed those qualities, with the very detailed instrument seperation, great midrange, decent highs, and very open and airy soundstage of the RE262's, and added them together? why the Sony EX600's of course!!  

atsmile.gif
gs1000.gif
L3000.gif
tongue.gif
 cool man really cool man!!!

Aug 25, 2011 at 9:57 PM Post #15 of 16
from the re0 i went to the um3x. love them :)

Very well controlled bass. since you're coming from the re0s, you'll be surprised with the bass at first but then you realize it doesn't mess with the mids at all
vocals are clean and some have found the vocals to be forward. I think they are a little forward as well but not irritatingly so. Listening to acoustic live performances just make the um3x shine even more :)
For the highs, you won't experience any fatigue.
They are comfortable and durable.. if you get the replaceable cable version like I did, you won't have to worry much about mistreating the cable.
the warranty is 2 years for these. :)
Instrument separation and detail are great with these too.

I'm not the correct person to comment on soundstage though because I personally can't appreciate soundstage with IEMs, only in full sized cans.. however, a lot of people have commented that the soundstage is the only downfall of the um3x.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back