RE0/RE1/RE2s with single flanges still good?
Jan 27, 2009 at 10:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

CloseToTheHedge

New Head-Fier
I'm very close to buying head-directs RE1s. I've previously tried the Atrio M5s, which I just could NOT get a good fit with and as a result punished me with unbearable sibilance. I then switched to some SA6s, which were better, but uncomfortable as hell and strangely fatiguing at both ends no matter what tip combinations I tried.

The only IEMs I've been able to deal with are the single flange "canal phones." For example I'm fine using mylarone x3is with regular single flanges. This is why I'm looking at the RE1s, since they fit similarly and apparently don't sufferer from sibilance, which I can't handle well at all.

Does anyone use the RE0/1/2s using the regular single flange tips? How are they comfort/isolation/sound wise? Does the lesser fit cause sibilance? How deep do they go?

Thanks

Jan 27, 2009 at 10:53 PM Post #2 of 6
The RE line, at least the RE0 I own, come with a range of single and double flange tips from small to large. You should be able to find one that works well enough. The range seems intelligent enough for both types. I am uncertain how something like the RE2 to RE0 compares in the number and size of tips that comes with it.

The RE0 is not much more then the RE1 in cost. You may opt for the RE0 if you're already thinking about the RE1.

Read the reviews on this site. There's a couple recent posts with info on all 3 versions. I too have posted my own comments/reviews on the RE0. You should be able to relatively gauge how each compare.

I personally kind of like the single flange, but I find the shape and size of the flange is what makes it uncomfortable, not so much specifically the fact that it's a double flange. Apparently Klipsch is supposed to have some awesome multiflange tips.

Jan 28, 2009 at 1:29 AM Post #3 of 6
I used single flange on RE0 and big bi-flange on RE1 and RE2. The reason of using big bi-flange is because it gives more isolation, which is slightly lacking in RE1 and RE2 since both are semi-opened design.

Jan 29, 2009 at 10:37 AM Post #5 of 6
I had problems getting a good fit with a single flange with my RE1s and RE2s. With the RE0s I get a superb fit with the medium single flange and the big double flange from Head-Direct. The RE0s design allows for better positioning of the earphones in your ear compared to the older models. The RE0s are a bit smaller and with a rubber stress relief rather than a hard plastic one. This and the fact that the cable entry is slimmer on the RE0s means that more people will be able to get an excellent fit no matter how their ears look.

They do not go as deep as the SA6s normally, it depends a bit on how big your ear canal is. I do not have any problems with sibilance with the RE0s. The RE1s have less treble energy, but they are not quite on par sound quality wise with the RE0s.

If you want more info read my review, I hope that answers some of your remaining questions, there is also a review of the RE1s and RE2s at that site : techPowerUp :: Head-Direct RE0 Earphones Review :: Page 1 / 4

Users who are viewing this thread

Back