RE0 or Soundmagic PL50 or Klipsch S4?
Oct 4, 2009 at 11:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Vitor Teixeira

500+ Head-Fier
Hi, im looking for a second pair of phones, and i would like to know your opinion on this three, what do you prefer: the RE0; the Soundmagic PL 50 or the Klipsch S4?
I own the Shure SE 420, and this second pair is mostly to go to the gym, so it must be not to expensive, easy to use, and confortable (i dont know either if they are sweat proof..)

Thanks for your help.

Oct 4, 2009 at 2:13 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by mp3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the S4 and PL50, both are very good. The PL50 is more mids focused and quite analytical, while the S4 is more bassy and "fun".

I am in a similar position though the s4's are a little out of my budget. I don't want to Hijack the thread but wanted to suggest a few I am deciding between, maybe the Sennheiser CX550 II, d-Jays or DENON AH-C452. Just some ideas, my budget is about £55 and still cant decide either.

Oct 4, 2009 at 4:34 PM Post #4 of 9
I am considering the CX550 II to be extremely bass-heavy, making the whole sound congested, as a result the soundstage becomes very blurry. Furthermore, the isolation is not too great, so I would advise you to spend the 55 quid on something else.

Oct 4, 2009 at 5:22 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by sebhuber /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am considering the CX550 II to be extremely bass-heavy, making the whole sound congested, as a result the soundstage becomes very blurry. Furthermore, the isolation is not too great, so I would advise you to spend the 55 quid on something else.

Interesting findings considering that my CX550 sounds nothing like you describe. Yes, it does have more bass than neutral, but the I don't feel the sound is congested, and the soundstage and separation is pretty good to my ears. Also, isolation isn't too shabby, but definitely not the best. Maybe I just got a really good pair.
redface.gif

@000dom000: I really like the CX550, but without any experience with the PL50 and other newer models, I'm going to refrain from making a recommendation.

@Vitor: Sorry for the off-topic remarks. This excellent comparison review by ClieOS would make a good starting point for info on the RE0 and PL50: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/r...-v-2-a-394365/. Try a quick search to see if anybody has compared either of them with the S4.

Oct 4, 2009 at 8:08 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by kjk1281 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting findings considering that my CX550 sounds nothing like you describe. Yes, it does have more bass than neutral, but the I don't feel the sound is congested, and the soundstage and separation is pretty good to my ears. Also, isolation isn't too shabby, but definitely not the best. Maybe I just got a really good pair.
redface.gif

@000dom000: I really like the CX550, but without any experience with the PL50 and other newer models, I'm going to refrain from making a recommendation.

@Vitor: Sorry for the off-topic remarks. This excellent comparison review by ClieOS would make a good starting point for info on the RE0 and PL50: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/r...-v-2-a-394365/. Try a quick search to see if anybody has compared either of them with the S4.

Or maybe I was a bit harsh on them, coming from my IE8s which is in a different league. I had my CX550 II for almost 3 months as a permanent IEM and also thought they preformed pretty well. Once you get used to better sound though you will be pretty disappointed.
I might add to that the CX550II was very sibilant and too much bass, but burning in defiantly improves the SQ

@Op sorry if that was off topic

Oct 4, 2009 at 8:32 PM Post #9 of 9
Since you say nothing about what you would like them to sound like and all three are stellar phones, I'd say go for the Pl50 as they are great all-around and especially convenient for the gym. Very easy to insert/remove and extremely tiny/light/flat. They obviously lack detail hugely compared to the RE0s, but I don't think they're a major step down from the SE420's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back