RE0 modding
Apr 1, 2010 at 2:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

mjg132

New Head-Fier
I wrote this in another thread a few days ago and no ones answered as yet,but im curious about modding my RE0's.Any constructive advice would be welcome..
regular_smile .gif

Is it possible to create inserts like the Phonak ones and place them inside for different sound signatures,or would the Phonak ones work?? As a machinist and craftsman,i think i could do this.
Also,i'm thinking of cutting the the long extended rubber extensions so that they are only about 2mm and placing the memory material around the revealed cable(which i have seen in another thread),do you think this is a good idea,whats the consensus?
Is there any type of heat shrink material in production that could be used to eliminate the microphonics in these IEM's?
Thanks guys,i'd appreciate your input.

Oct 15, 2010 at 9:08 PM Post #4 of 6
OK, so taking out the foam on the inside of the rubber ear cup really improves the sound.  It sounds less clinical and pumps much more.  Basically Hifiman inserted polyfiber mesh in between the drivers and your ears... im sure there are some benefits to having them there, but as a whole the sound is much better once they're out.

For those who are weary about modding your RE0s, one, its worth it.  Two, I'll do a step by step (as I found this scary at first but realized I had nothing to be scared of:

1.find a sewing needle for this operation.
2. thread the needle, dip it slightly into the headphones (I mean real slightly though) and then bring it out the other side.
3. You should be looking at a little bit of black inbetween both sides of the sewing needle.  Now you can just pull on both sides and the polyfiber should come out.

The drivers are much more recessed than you'd think, so don't worry too much about puncturing or hitting it, but, obviously, take caution and use your common sense.

Once you do this, the mids will be much more forward and the sound will be generally fuller.  Enjoy.

Jul 2, 2011 at 5:14 AM Post #5 of 6
Mhh...  I made a foam mod too, but I did not took it out, I had made the opposite. I've put some more wadding in the nozzle, not removed it at all. Extra wadding turned RE-0's into 90 % linear , reference sounding phones. Even more reference then my HD600's. Stock Re0-s have little bass and emphasized highs... My moded RE0 have enough bass and somehow more accurate, less prominent highs, but not recessed at all, just, the right one. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back