RE0 + good amp or M3 - Please Help
Dec 1, 2012 at 10:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

napster420

New Head-Fier
Hello,

My Pl-50 got broke ( left side got a loose connection , is there any way to repair it ) yesterday.
I am looking forward to replace it with a bit more advanced ( around $100 ) earphones.

Though, I like the sound signature of Pl-50 , found Bass not that profound and punchy and also the voice cracks oh High volume and also High are not that clear. But still a Bag for money for me ( got it for $35 ).

I am getting a deal for RE0 here - http://head-direct.com/Products/?act=detail&id=38 . I want to make sure if this the original RE0 only ( lol, because $50 seems to be a real great deal ). 

What i am looking for is for is head phone which has a similar sound signature like that of pl-50 , not too bass oriented ( like M2 ), but bass must be better than pl-50 ( little punchy and clear ) , has a good vocal clarity and treble and must not get cracked on high volume and a little warmth in sound.

Both M3 and RE0 seems to be a perfect choice for my preference . I will use it mostly with my mac book pro and my song collection is mostly Lossless or MP3 VBR 320 .

What i am considering is to buy RE0 at above deal and to purchase a AMP along with it or to go for M3 without AMP.

Also i am a little worried about the durability of RE0.

Please suggest which option i should go for and also suggest a good AMP below $25.

Dec 1, 2012 at 12:46 PM Post #2 of 13
Of course its original. They are the company who produce it 
normal_smile .gif
 Hifiman is a head-direct brand.

There is only FiiO e6 for that price range. And its good for its price.

Dec 1, 2012 at 1:05 PM Post #4 of 13
I don't know anything about pl-50 but R0 is an analytical iem. 

You should check joker's reviews for more detailed information about it's sound type.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-266-iems-compared-rock-it-sounds-r-50-added-11-29-12

Dec 1, 2012 at 1:10 PM Post #6 of 13
From experience PL-50 is a very mid-centric IEM, the instant you listen to them you will get attracted to the mids, cause it is really smooth and captures attention very well

I think the closest match would be the GR06, mid forward with punchier bass and a better extended top end

Dec 1, 2012 at 1:22 PM Post #7 of 13
The RE0 are great buy under current price and they are very detailed in mids, highs with good bass response and sound loud and clear out of any DAPs but they definitely improve further with AMPs help(highly recommended).

Dec 1, 2012 at 1:26 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:
The RE0 are great buy under current price and they are very detailed in mids, highs with good bass response and sound loud and clear out of any DAPs but they definitely improve further with AMPs help(highly recommended).

Ok so what will you suggest . RE0 or M3. I really want a bass better than sound magic PL-50 and also the overall sound to be soft and smoother like Seat Back sound signature with a little punchy bass.

Dec 1, 2012 at 3:35 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:
Ok so what will you suggest . RE0 or M3. I really want a bass better than sound magic PL-50 and also the overall sound to be soft and smoother like Seat Back sound signature with a little punchy bass.

The Klipsch X10 meets above requirements and RE0 are highly detailed which portray all frequencies response equaly(without emphesis on bass) but bass still punchy enough to serve any genres music well on RE0(but not basshead).

Dec 1, 2012 at 7:14 PM Post #10 of 13
Listening to the RE0, I heard no difference between a rockboxed fuze and a UHA6S mkII. If there are differences I would appreciate someone to explain what they are so I may listen for them.

Dec 2, 2012 at 1:39 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:
Listening to the RE0, I heard no difference between a rockboxed fuze and a UHA6S mkII. If there are differences I would appreciate someone to explain what they are so I may listen for them.

I don't have the RE0 so I'm not really sure if they really respond to amping or not. Are the RE0 known for having much of any sound staging? Because when I had the RE262 they did respond quite nicely to amping. Yet I still wasn't wowed at all by them. In comparison to my other IEMs their sound stage was quite narrow, closed in (in your head) so not pleasing to me. I set my expectations way too high for those IEMs at least in comparison to what I already owned and was very disappointed in the end results. So I returned them. So in that I'd say get better IEMs to take full advantage of that UHA6 MKII. Jut my .02 cents.

But to answer your question with my better gear you get a better sound stage. More depth especially with the UHA6 and that is even more apparent on and IEM with a large sound stage with lots of width to it. So they go very well together in that regards (synergy). You are also gonna have a cleaner background (blacker) which can make details more apparent. If you are after a detail monster drop Op Amp 209 in there as it is a transparency freak. For me it was just overboard so not my cup of tea for general listening. Op Amp 8610 has a good balance between both 209 and 627AP without overdoing it on musicality or Transparency.

Dec 2, 2012 at 2:30 AM Post #12 of 13
Not going to suggest which one to get, but these are my impressions of the two:

Cost: RE-0

My RE-ZERO sounds more or less the same with my Sanza Clip+ with and without my CMoyBB. Before I got the Clip+, my CMoyBB (off an Ipod Nano and phone) gives the ZERO bigger soundstage and better separation, but if you have a reasonable DAP, save the $25. I got the E5, and it wasn't really useful (not sure how the E6 is compared to it, heard it was better and around $20). Going with gnarlsagan's advice, an amp might not be necessary, considering the limited choices of quality amps you can get at $25.

Durability: RE-0

My friend had an M3, and the left side died really quickly (around 3 days). He doesn't babysit his IEMs, but he now has an M4 that's lasting him a while. I've also known 2 out of 2 cases where the M2 died quickly as well, so build quality is a little worrisome with the Brainwavz IEMs. I believe the RE-0 upgraded its cable to that of the RE-ZERO, which is quite good imo (soft and thick, but it now has cable memory near the housing since I wear them over-the-ears).

Sound: M3

The general consensus (and your feeling) is that the PL-50 is mid-centric. The RE-0 is probably not what you want for that. During my short audition with my friend's M3, I believe it has just a pinch less bass than my RE-ZERO, while the impression I'm getting is that the RE-0 has much less and is more analytical. The M3 is probably closer to the PL-50 than the RE-0.

Alternatives:

RE-ZERO ($60) ============> That is if you can still find them. I think they might suit your desired tastes. Also requires less amping than the RE-0
Meelectronic A151 (~$50)
Meelectronic A161 (was on sale this morning for $70)
GR06 (~$45)
Astrotec AM-90 (~42)

Dec 9, 2012 at 2:09 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:
Hello,

My Pl-50 got broke ( left side got a loose connection , is there any way to repair it ) yesterday.
I am looking forward to replace it with a bit more advanced ( around $100 ) earphones.

Though, I like the sound signature of Pl-50 , found Bass not that profound and punchy and also the voice cracks oh High volume and also High are not that clear. But still a Bag for money for me ( got it for $35 ).

I am getting a deal for RE0 here - http://head-direct.com/Products/?act=detail&id=38 . I want to make sure if this the original RE0 only ( lol, because $50 seems to be a real great deal ). 

What i am looking for is for is head phone which has a similar sound signature like that of pl-50 , not too bass oriented ( like M2 ), but bass must be better than pl-50 ( little punchy and clear ) , has a good vocal clarity and treble and must not get cracked on high volume and a little warmth in sound.

Both M3 and RE0 seems to be a perfect choice for my preference . I will use it mostly with my mac book pro and my song collection is mostly Lossless or MP3 VBR 320 .

What i am considering is to buy RE0 at above deal and to purchase a AMP along with it or to go for M3 without AMP.

Also i am a little worried about the durability of RE0.

Please suggest which option i should go for and also suggest a good AMP below $25.

RE0 is good, and durable. I would not recommend getting the E6 because the RE0 sounds really good un-amped.  When using my E5 with the RE0, i can barely notice any improvement in quality for the sound (yes it goes louder but i dont need it that loud).  The RE0 does however improve in quality with my c421 amp, and when necessary the bass boost is just perfect.  So for cheap amp i would suggest saving up for the CMOY ($60) which is one of the popular amps under $100.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back