RE0 = Catnip?
Jan 11, 2010 at 8:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

blinky98

New Head-Fier
Okay, I'll start out by saying how much of an ungrateful bitch my cat has become to be and that she's sleeping out in the cold tonight. Basically she decided to munch down on my new RE0 headphones, specifically the left ear cord. The damage area is above the split about half-way to the left ear piece. It's not cleanly cut or anything, kind of mangled actually, but it's also not cut all the way through. Is there any way to repair this sort of damage or am I out 80 bucks? I don't know if it's possible to replace that part of the headphones or if head-direct has some amazingly sympathetic customer service or anything like that. I just ordered an amp for them last week that should be arriving in the mail tomorrow too =\ Thanks for any help, and also sorry if this belongs in a different forum.

Jan 11, 2010 at 8:16 AM Post #2 of 17
give them an email and Nankai a pm..see if they will do anything about it

EDIT: after this you may want to consider putting your earphones in a safe location and/or a case in the future to prevent things like this from happening.

Jan 11, 2010 at 8:31 AM Post #5 of 17
Yeah, your cat doesn't deserve to be left outside. It doesn't even know what an IEM is.
frown.gif

Jan 11, 2010 at 8:57 AM Post #9 of 17
The cat here has munched on a K-240 cable plug isolation. But then it's a large Canare plug, so she couldn't do much damage.

Jan 11, 2010 at 9:19 AM Post #11 of 17
I lost my first pair of super.fi 5pros to one of my cats
frown.gif
Stupidly I wasn't even aware of the replaceable cables at the time. Ended up using it as an excuse to buy the TF10's and noticed the cable disconnect when I was looking them over.. Doesn't feel like quite as epic a loss now that I know it's just a 20$ cable replacement.

Jan 11, 2010 at 10:56 AM Post #12 of 17
You could maybe get away with just stripping a bit of the wire and joining the break by soldering it or if you can't manage that just twisting the two ends together - far from ideal but a little bit of heat shrink over it might help to keep it in place as well as making it look tidier.

Jan 11, 2010 at 7:05 PM Post #13 of 17
I brought her back in shortly afterward. I'm located in Florida so it's not really that cold. Thanks for the replies, I'll contact Nankai and head-direct to see about some hopefully positive resolution. I typically keep them in my bag but I was using them at the time and stepped into the bathroom just long enough for her to devour them. She has plenty of cat toys and has never chewed on any other cords of mine so it really didn't seem like a possibility at the time. Damn hindsight.

Jan 11, 2010 at 7:08 PM Post #14 of 17
My mom had some problems with the new puppy munching on some cords for a while. Then the dog had the misfortune of chowing down on a live USB wire. I don't think she chews wires anymore.

Cats are odd critters, to be sure. My friend has a cat that had to have surgery because it had eaten a bunch of stuff it couldn't digest...like shoelaces, buttons, and bra straps. Course that cat might just be damaged, because that's the same one that peed in his face while he was in bed one morning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back