RE0 and S4
Jan 20, 2010 at 4:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

HeroicPenguin

500+ Head-Fier
I know this has been done to death, but I'm not sure which of these is best for me. I'm leaning towards the S4, even though the RE0 might be the better value because I heard that the RE0 lacks bass and is more analytical. However, I also think that the RE0 might have better sound and be a better deal despite these flaws.

I mainly listen to rock (leaning towards indie rather than classic rock) through my iPod touch, unamped. I also think that comfort, fit, and isolation are all important, so I'd like to know which of these two are best for those (from what I've read, the S4 seems to be better at these qualities).

I've also heard problems about the durability of both of the IEMs (the thin wire in the S4 and various problems with the RE0) so that might be a concern too.

Thanks.

Jan 20, 2010 at 4:27 AM Post #2 of 16
and you are right. you need the bass that s4 offers. wire tends to tangle a bit and seems weak to me but the whole thing is light and oval tips are really good too.

Jan 20, 2010 at 4:30 AM Post #3 of 16
another thing to add, re0 is 64ohm which means it requires more power. amping is last of your concern with 32ohm s4

Jan 20, 2010 at 4:57 AM Post #4 of 16
The S4 is indeed reported to be "comfy." However I use my RE0s with my touch unamped and they do have bass; I think this weakness is over exaggerated a bit. However, it can get drowned out in loud places. Also, the S4 may isolate a bit better.

For what you want it's a toss up; I was in your place a few weeks ago and got the RE0 and I don't regret it one bit.

Jan 20, 2010 at 5:49 AM Post #5 of 16
It seems like the S4s are more of what I'm looking for. I guess if the durability isn't a issue (and since no one raised the point, it probably isn't), then that's what I'm going for. Thanks for the responses.

Jan 20, 2010 at 5:49 AM Post #6 of 16
i recommend the s4. sound great, comfort and isolation are also excellent, especially comfort.

also, what does ohms have to do with headphones. like yeah, draw more power and stuff, but how does it affect SQ?

Jan 20, 2010 at 5:52 AM Post #7 of 16
Which to choose depends on how you want to hear your music. I've had my RE0 for more than 6 months now. I had the S4 for about 2 weeks and returned them. Here's my opinion about these two:

S4 bass --strong; overwhelmes the mids; not boomy or flabby, tho, just very strong.
RE0 bass -- very accurate, very clean and detailed; extension is quite deep, but the impact is more armiture-like than dynamic. Amping, even a little E5, really helps, or an EQ boost in the 30-60K range. (Bass does relax and expands after 50-100 hours use.)

S4 mids -- when not overwhelmed by the bass, very warm, almost dark, but fairly detailed.
RE0 mids -- very accurate, clean and detailed; probably a bit colored in the vocal range, similar to Shure's in that regard.

S4 highs -- not quite sibilant, but very strong, slightly grainy, and fatiguing after 20-30 minutes, even at moderate volume.
RE0 highs -- extension is amazing, but not as amazing as the smoothness of the highs; extrememely detailed, but still enjoyable for music.

The original price of the RE0 was $180 USD, so when the went to $100 last summer, they were a great bargain. At the current $80 they are a true steal, IMO.

Jan 20, 2010 at 6:00 AM Post #8 of 16
There's no reason to just have one of the two
smily_headphones1.gif
. I have S4s on the way i picked up on eBay for rap/hiphop/dnb/trace, and I'm going to pickup some RE0s for my guitar based music.

Jan 20, 2010 at 6:13 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by kmhaynes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which to choose depends on how you want to hear your music. I've had my RE0 for more than 6 months now. I had the S4 for about 2 weeks and returned them. Here's my opinion about these two:

S4 bass --strong; overwhelmes the mids; not boomy or flabby, tho, just very strong.
RE0 bass -- very accurate, very clean and detailed; extension is quite deep, but the impact is more armiture-like than dynamic. Amping, even a little E5, really helps, or an EQ boost in the 30-60K range. (Bass does relax and expands after 50-100 hours use.)

S4 mids -- when not overwhelmed by the bass, very warm, almost dark, but fairly detailed.
RE0 mids -- very accurate, clean and detailed; probably a bit colored in the vocal range, similar to Shure's in that regard.

S4 highs -- not quite sibilant, but very strong, slightly grainy, and fatiguing after 20-30 minutes, even at moderate volume.
RE0 highs -- extension is amazing, but not as amazing as the smoothness of the highs; extrememely detailed, but still enjoyable for music.

The original price of the RE0 was $180 USD, so when the went to $100 last summer, they were a great bargain. At the current $80 they are a true steal, IMO.

Very good comparison, very accurate. The S4 does beat the RE0 for bass quantity unamped, but in almost every other regard the RE0 shines.

Jan 20, 2010 at 7:37 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Just like my findings were
regular_smile .gif
I completely agree. But, I will add that sometimes the bass and highs on the S4 may drown out the mids. But, by no mean the mids are recessed.

Jan 20, 2010 at 8:17 AM Post #11 of 16
If you plan on really analyzing your music OR ponying up to get better tips (Sony hybrids or Complys) then you'd be happier with the RE0. Although the mids recess a bit in the 2200-4400 Hz range.

As many users have mentioned, your iPod might not drive them effectively. Your biggest concern isn't driving them loud enough but well enough. Slow attack and lacking impact are big problems when I listen out of my on-board audio, but are somewhat alleviated out of my Clip.

In other regards, the RE0 isn't at all bad. All metal housing = strong IEMs. PPE cable = chemically and temperature resistant. Durability has never been concerning on my pair.

The only concern I'd highlight is the surprisingly large amount of replacement RE0s. Many owners note manufacturer defects (rattling bass at high volumes, imbalance between left and right, etc), but Head-Direct's professionalism is comforting. If you aren't willing to deal with them for replacements, the S4s may be better.

There's nothing wrong with liking colored music. That's why people get TF10s and E530s, but they know what they're getting into. Listen to some analogous earphones and see what kind of sound you prefer. I haven't the experience to pick my favorite sound, so I went with the neutral choice.

Jan 20, 2010 at 2:59 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Just because it's not my experience, I have to post that the 20-30 minute fatigue issue is not everyone's experience. I've worn them for 4-5 straight hours, and no fatigue. And most of those who own the S4 in the appreciation thread report no such fatigue in such a short time. If that were the case, no one would have kept their S4s because who would want an IEM that you can't use for more than a half hour?

Also, the bass on my pair doesn't overwhelm the rest of the frequencies. And again, if that were the case it's doubtful anyone would have kept their S4s for very long.

While I do not doubt the poster's experience, I am just saying there are other views, majority views, on the S4, so I would take these observations for what they are, personal opinion and not the larger S4 ownership view.

Are the S4 perfect or for everyone? No. But they are not by and large phones that become unlistenable after 20-30 minutes for the majority of owners.

On the flipside, there are a minority of RE0 buyers who returned them or sold them, because while amazing in details, were deemed boring. I haven't owned the RE0, so I can't comment on them. But the only way to decide if the S4 is good for the OP is for them to buy and try (and remember the burn-in, which some say works well, myself included, and some say they didn't need (they liked the S4 out of the box). A few others say it didn't work.

To the OP, as always, this really comes down to sound sig preference, of course. But since both phones have 30-day return policies, try them both and then decide. Starting a thread is just going to give you counter views by fans of the two respective IEMs, and that's not going to get you anywhere.

Also, my guess is the RE0 is a much better performed when amped with the right amp. The S4s need no amp, as it doesn't change the sound sig very much.

Saying the RE0 are a "steal" at their current price is all well and good, but not if it turns out you don't like them - and that has happened among a minority of buyers, just as it has among a minority of S4 owners/buyers.

Jan 20, 2010 at 9:25 PM Post #14 of 16
Not to mess with your brain any, but you might consider the Etymotic HF5s too. Similar clarity of the RE0s, but with slightly more bass. Better isolation than either the S4s or the RE0s. Just slightly higher cost (about $105 on Amazon). 2-year warranty, good ear-tip selection, and so forth.

Something to consider.

Jan 20, 2010 at 10:57 PM Post #15 of 16
Ive done about 60hrs on my RE0s and am really impressed.
The Bass is there if the player has the EQ capabilities or if amped.
Ive pushed the Clear Bass on my walkman to max and there is ample bass (sometimes i have to pull it back a notch).
I find the stock tips work the best (upside down with cable over the ear).
The seal is the most critical thing with these iems (if the seal is just a little off, there goes the bass).
Clarity is still amazing in mids and highs.
Sorry cant compare them to the S4, but the walkman drives them easily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back