RE0 - add iPhone Controls?
Mar 29, 2010 at 1:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

dilly323

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

Total newbie here. I've spent a good part of my weekend lurking around Head-Fi, and thanks to all of your excellent advice, I've ordered an RE0.

But I just realized that I screwed up! I'd really like the ability skip songs on my iPhone with a button on the chord, and it appears that the RE0 doesn't have one (right??).

So, what can I do? I just need that stupid button. There must be some attachment that I could buy. Any specific recommendations?

Currently, I have a V-Moda Vibe Duo and I frequently use the button to skip songs during my commute.

Thanks in advance!

Mar 29, 2010 at 1:19 AM Post #2 of 11
I saw a cord somewhere where you could plug your headphones into it and then plug it into your iphone.

But it's actually really easy to skip songs from your iphone. You don't have to unlock your iphone everytime, just double click the home button on the lock screen and this should appear
:
ipod_control_lock_screen.jpg

Mar 29, 2010 at 4:09 AM Post #3 of 11
Yeah, but I like the convenience of pressing the button without even taking the iPhone out. I guess I'm just used to it.

I will have to look for that kind of chord. Thanks for the reply.

Mar 29, 2010 at 4:18 AM Post #4 of 11
Another consideration is a FiiO E1. It amplifies and gets the signal from the dock connector, providing better sound than stock. With the RE0 you want an amp anyways to get the best sound. It has volume controls and forward/backwards track buttons. The only downside is that the cord is .8m long, so you have 4/5ths of a meter extra to stuff in your pocket, but you're really killing two birds with one stone in your case.
Oh, and it also has a pause button in the centre, something I've found really useful since you can't just take the plug put of the amp to stop the music as you might with the iPod/iPhone itself.

Mar 29, 2010 at 4:20 AM Post #5 of 11
Well maybe some day a person will mod the RE0 (or other iems) to be able to do this. The stock earbuds have 3 black rings around the 3.5mm plug: Left channel, Right channel and the iPod control. I am clueless as to how this works. I am unsure if there needs to be another wire added or you could just take the iPod control component, solder(?) it to the wire on the RE0 and use the stock iPod 3.5mm plug (with those 3 rings) on the RE0 as well. Crazy idea, but I am sure it would be very popular if someone manages to do it someday. Other than that, I am afraid you are just going to have to take the iPhone out of your pocket each time you want to skip a song. This is one reason why I kept my Walkman X1060 over the iPod touch
tongue.gif

Mar 29, 2010 at 4:24 AM Post #6 of 11
People have taken the stock cord and soldered the drivers of other IEMs on, but the cable is a piece of utter crap durability wise, especially the connector.

Mar 29, 2010 at 4:31 AM Post #7 of 11
iLuv

*edit* http://www.amazon.com/iLuv-iEA15BLK-...R3R0GXPP0A837Z

I have one and I love it.

The build quality is iffy but it's a good length (controls end up a few inches out of the pocket) and performs its functions with no problem.

Vol up, vol down, single click pause, double click skip forward, triple click skip backward.

*edit* apparently a lot of people were getting doa/defective units. Didn't even notice they were out of stock on the website. Guess i'll have to be more careful with mine.

*edit again* for Amazon link. One of the reviews says it doesn't work with the 3GS but it works with mine.

Mar 29, 2010 at 4:35 AM Post #8 of 11
Wouldn't that still be in the users pocket, as it connects to the end of the earphone cable?

Mar 29, 2010 at 7:04 AM Post #9 of 11
ive looked into modding and cutting the cable of the ie8 and soldering it onto the outputs of the shure music mic adapter. the adapters along with the cords of the regular headphones end up around 2-3 meters, and very uncomfortable to hold and wear around.

theres someone on this forum that did the ie8 cable solder to an audio technica adapter. i just cant find the thread now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back